Robotic bouyancy compensation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice solution to a problem that does not exist.

Can you imagine the lawsuit - if the "panic" button is hit by mistake after being OOA - bang - stabilize the diver at current depth... lol - yikes...

You would need air integration, of course... the kind of diver who wants automated buoyancy compensation won't fret about AI being bad on principle.

Then of course I can not imagine a paniced diver bolting for the surface - pausing and hitting the "panic" button - but it could happen...

Well, for all I know, panic is the end of a process that starts with being uncomfortable, and leads through progressive anxiety. Presumably, somewhere along the line, you would want to press that button. I could be wrong.

Very nice solution to a problem that does not exist.

True, but so are chocolate ice cream and movies with George Clooney... if someone feels like to have a new toy, there's nothing wrong in helping them part with their money.

I saw a demonstration of automatic lift bags, where you set a depth and they maintain it no matter what. While there were some bugs, this seems like a better application of the technology than a bc.

I saw a demonstration of automatic lift bags, where you set a depth and they maintain it no matter what. While there were some bugs, this seems like a better application of the technology than a bc.
The concept nicely illustrates the problem with the proposed device when compared to a scuba diver. A lift bag has one means of controlling buoyancy, but a diver has two or more, depending upon whether or not the diver is wearing a dry suit. They can be working at cross purposes to each other. Others have mentioned the fact that for most experienced divers, the lungs are the means by which the fine tuning adjustments to buoyancy are made. A diver approaching a coral formation and wishing to rise over it and then descend once past it will do all of that simply through breath control. It will be hard to do it if the BCD you are wearing is fighting you all the way.

True, but so are chocolate ice cream and movies with George Clooney... if someone feels like to have a new toy, there's nothing wrong in helping them part with their money.

Yeah, New Coke and Ben Gay Aspirin are excellent examples of that kind of thinking. There have been many attempts at making auto-buoyancy devices. A friend has sunk about $500k into a perfectly reasonable device that works, is not too expensive to manufacture and he has a patent. Unfortunately no manufacturer will even sniff at it.

What if the chest strap buckle had a sensor that detected chest inflation and considered that a user override of sorts.
Inhale and hold = allow accent
Exhale and hold = allow descent
normal breathing = maintain depth or neutral boyancy

Once again this is not a discussion on practicality or desire to ever see such a thing come to market. Just a discussion to see if it could be done.

What if the chest strap buckle had a sensor that detected chest inflation and considered that a user override of sorts.
Inhale and hold = allow accent
Exhale and hold = allow descent
normal breathing = maintain depth or neutral boyancy

Once again this is not a discussion on practicality or desire to ever see such a thing come to market. Just a discussion to see if it could be done.

Hmmm...diver gets into trouble and starts hyperventilating. Hilarity ensues.

There is a term for devices that perform a very simple task yet are ridiculously complex. I can't remember it at the moment.

It's something I suspect many divers have considered - I know I did at some time or other.
Even should you solve the issues with lung volume affecting buoyancy etc, the diver still needs to be able to override the system if it malfunctions. Therefore the diver still requires good buoyancy control skills and that obviates the need for the device in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom