Rocio Del Mar / Socorro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terry2Puds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am going to Socorro islands on the Rocio del Mar next week for a 13 day cruise. Having just checked their website for diving information. It says no gloves or lights, however when you watch the videos, some divers are wearing gloves and those with camera set ups have strobes/ lights. Not bothered about the camera side or the gloves aspect. My question is, is it worth taking my heavy Green Force torch (flashlight) with me?

It also talks about four dives a day. Are night dives done?

Thanks

Terry

Gloves and torches are not allowed in the park. Strobes, video and spotting lights are allowed. Makes no sense to me but those are the rules.

Gloves and torches are not allowed in the park. Strobes, video and spotting lights are allowed. Makes no sense to me but those are the rules.

Looks like I will leave the torch at home.

Many thanks.

Just got back last wee from Socorro on the Solmar V. As stated, lights on camera are ok, just not as flashlights. The no gloves rule seems to have ended. The crew told me that is no more despite my telling everyone of our group repeatedly "no gloves". Some of the other folks on the boat not from our group brought gloves and wore them. Water temp ranged from 70 to 76 and gloves may have been nice when it was 70, but certainly not needed. So, having a Sola light or any other video light or flash on your camera is fine, wearing gloves is fine, using a separate flashlight is not.

Rob

Rob

I dove the Socorros (Nautilus Explorer) a few ago and did bring lights, always dove with one light strapped to the right side of my harness webbing as a safety precaution as we did some dives that ended in the twilight of evening and I wanted a signal light if needed for the boat to see me on the surface. (or if I got separated from the boat on a day dive for an extended period after nightfall) I didn't use a big/obvious can light, but a decent powered LED hand-held light (all black light body) so when strapped to my harness it 'disappeared' among all my other gear/attachments. The crew never said anything about it. I consider lights/knives as essential safety gear, especially in a place as remote as the Socorros ! Remember, all Socorro liveaboards are required to 'check in' on arrival at the Socorros with the tiny Mexican Navy station based there, where M-16 toting marines will board the vessel for a cursory 'inspection', it appears to just be some sort of formality the navy has to go through, it's pretty brief and then they leave and you're good to go for the rest of your trip, the main point being I didn't secure my light to my harness until the 'inspection' was done, no use inviting trouble there, but I was probably just being overly paranoid. :)
I didn't use my light during dives (just as emergency gear) so I didn't place the crew in the akward position of having to enforce the rules as I wasn't waving my light all over the place during routine dives, so they left me alone.

Don't worry about the no gloves thing. I dove them a couple of years ago and everyone had gloves.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 11:51 AM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/422526-no-lights-socorros-really.html

It seems they don't do night dives due to sharks so there is no need for a light. It also seems the look the other way for photographers.

No they don't do night dives due to the conditions down there. It can get pretty rough and it is open ocean. Even when I did the Sea of Cortez I think we did one night dive. By the end of the day after 4 dives you are wiped. Also all the dives in Socorros are deep everything was 75 plus it seemed.

Don't worry about the no gloves thing. I dove them a couple of years ago and everyone had gloves.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 11:51 AM ----------

No they don't do night dives due to the conditions down there. It can get pretty rough and it is open ocean. Even when I did the Sea of Cortez I think we did one night dive. By the end of the day after 4 dives you are wiped. Also all the dives in Socorros are deep everything was 75 plus it seemed.

I was just quoting what was said in the linked thread. As for open ocean, the Flower Garden are open ocean deep diving and they do night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom