Rock boots or Turbo Soles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL!

Boy did I go through this. I ended up ordering my drysuit (not DUI) with the sock. And then the quest began for footwear. My feet are somewhat wide. Chuck Taylors were too narrow. I tried combat boots for a while, and while they were awesome for the trek through the woods and to the water, they too were a bit narrow and short with the heavy wool socks.

Eventually I broke down and ordered Rock Boots. It was the very first drysuit dive I had done in comfort. The Turbo soles may be nice. I've not used them. But I wanted more ankle support than they offered. I am quite happy with my Rock Boots, but this really is a matter of choosing what works best for you.

I took advantage of the DUI demo days and that proved to be the deciding factor for me.

Best of luck.

I tried both the turbo soles and rock boots at the Dog Rally at Manatee Springs last year.The rock boots won hands down. I like the support and the no slip traction they provide. They are quite easy to put on after a little practice. The rock boots are easier to put on than the Converse Court shoes I had been wearing. :palmtree: Bob

I went with Turbo-soles coz... well I didn't want to get new fins. I like my Jets. I tried them with Rock Boots and they were just too big for the pocket. HOWEVER, if I could have used the Rock Boot, I think I would have.
I have a buddy with dives a CF200 with the sock for Rock Boots. He squeezes his foot in the same Neo-bootie he dived be for he got his CF200. He says its "a little snug" but pulls it off just fine every dive.

I wanted Turbo Soles but I went with Rock Boots because I have ankles that are fixed a few times after sports injuries and "wiggle in the wind". I also do a lot of shore dives and do not mind the stiffer support the boots give. Sounds like your shore dives do not require quite so much support because you have handled them this far without a sturdier boot.

I hate the boots when donning/doffing but I would have to argue that they are very uncomfortable. My sock is cut for me and even though it's not fun to have one extra piece to put on, everything fits fine and is very comfortable, especially in water. Also my feet do not get cold as easily as my buddies in Turbo Soles it seems (and this is saying a lot because I generally get cold first and have poor circulation to feet).

I have no issues with fin fitting but I know several Turbo Soled buds who are cursing and looking for solutions with finkeepers and heel rubber patches to keep their fins on. (The spring straps slid into the groove between the sole and sock). Even though I'd like the Turbos for the simplicity that problem has gotten my attention as a major negative. I think it does reflect to some degree the problem of too large soles being delivered.

I have a DUI CLx 50/50 and went with the Rock boots. I do a fair amount of beach entry dives here in SoCal, but I ordered them mostly for the protection out and about. I do a number of boat dives as well and just figured having the ankle support, the tread and the durability was worth it to me. I use the Mares Volo Power fins and had NO issue going from my wet suit boots to the Rock Boots. You may want to see if you can find a friend or shop that has Rock boots to at least try one in your fin.

Even if I had to buy new fins, I would still opt for the Rock boot. After about 2-3 times of dealing with the sock in the boot, you will learn how to slide into the boot and then wiggle the toes around a little to get the slack where you want it before tieing the laces up. It took me exactly twice personally. Mostly because I was forewarned about it. The first time I thought it was no big deal though. I enjoy the Rock Boots.

If you have other questions about the CLX, let me know. It took me nearly 5 months of emails to DUI and personal research before going with the Sig Series CLx 50/50, bellow pockets on the sides and the relief zipper.

Good luck with your purchase, you will enjoy the DUI.

-D.

I dive from boats and from shore. I do approx 30 dives per year.

I have size 10 in shoes, I use a scubapro jetfin copy (Aquarius jetfin) size L-XL.

What boots should I go for? Turbo och Rock?
I was thinking of Turbo but perhaps I'm wrong!?
I don't really know why I should pick one over the other other than it seems annoying to have to bring yet another item (rock boots). On the other hand I'm happy to use a separate hood as the benefits outwins the drawbacks (make it possible to dry it in the warm cabin or switch to a dry one between the cold dives). Not that I think that is a reason to go for rock boots, but it shows that often the obvious is not the best in the end. So...

Thanks!

I'd make my choice of drysuit boot irrespective of whether it meant getting new fins to fit them, unless, of course, your fins can't be replaced anymore and you really love them.... :)

The pros and cons of Rockboots versus Turbo Soles have been well described with many valid points in this thread.

I've used both extensively and prefer Rockboots over Turbo Soles mainly for the better ankle support for shore dives.

However, having the adjustable fit of laced boots can be very helpful if one varies the thickness of foot insulation a great deal, like I do, since I dive dry in water that ranges from 32F to 75F (0 to 24C).

I also wear an oversized Rockboot to allow enough room when needed, but the laces allow adjusting tighter when needed. Figure at least 1 size over your shoe size, even for light insulation.

With TurboSoles, if you size them to avoid constriction when wearing heavy winter foot insulation, they may be a sloppy fit when wearing light insulation.

That may not be important if one dives using about the same thickness of foot insulation most of the time, like most people do. :)

Dave C

Turbo soles. Rock boots are a unnecessary item and more hassel. Stick with what you are know works.

Have Turbo Soles with my CF200 suit. Would NOT want to do serious walking in them. I have cursed them plenty even going from a gravel parking lot to the boat carrying tanks and gear--I feel every piece of gravel, there is no support, and you might not want to drop a tank on your toe! The rubber heel strap of my Jetfins is secured in a way that works but that I don't like--it rests betwee the neoprene sock and the edge of the turbo sole--no leak or tear yet, but I don't really like it.

Have bought a TLS350 and will be buying Rockboots soon. I have read enough to anticipate some aspects that might be less than ideal, but if I get a good fit, I suspect the Rockboots will be a welcome change from the Turbo Soles.

I suspect the ideal would be a more beefy Turbo Sole that looked a bit more like my heavy duty Scubapro wetsuit boots, with a fairly solid sole and rubber re-enforcements over the heel and toe. So simple a solution--wonder why it's not done?

First off, I don't care what kind of foot wear I have on (steel toe included) I wouldn't want to drop a tank on my foot! I have the rock boot sock. I didn't like the rock boot as they are so big, and I already wear a size 16 shoe. I have both turtles and XXL slipstreams, these fins are pretty snug, and I had custom extra long spring straps made. I found a pair of size 17 converse in stealth black really cheap. I switched from rocks to chucks and like the change, the shoe is definately tighter, but its thinner so my fins fit better. I ended up with holes in the heals of my ds socks and talking with some people found out that holes there are quite normal with rock boots. I completely agree that dui socks come really big (even for size 16 feet!) and I would go with the turbo soles if I were to do it again.

I was waiting for that sort of brilliant reply regarding dropping a tank on one's toe. Even if I was writing with a bit of deliberate hyperbole, there is some protection afforded even having a rubber cap on one's toe--and I know this from wearing Turbo Soles and wetusit boots with even thin rubber reinforced toes. I feel somehow unsturdy and exposed walking around in Turbo Soles. I even have to be careful that people wearing Rockboots don't step on my toes, and my foot is a rather average size 9. But then I suppose I can feel your pain too walking around in size 17 Rockboots--but this strikes me as a "big" problem particular to your situation. Perhaps you can economize by doing away with fins altogether?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom