Rockport Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is probably another town crying out for government handouts because of a drop in tourism... I guess shore diving is out.. I don't think they can prohibit boat dives, as long as you depart from someplace other than their boat ramp.

FreeFloat:
Ah, a double standard then.

First Rockport, now Brockville?!?!? What is with these guys!!!???

Alas Morrisburg too has been upset at us divers.

I sensed it last time I was there. I believe that if we agreed to stay away from the permanent park benches at the waterfront park area and things would not be as hostile.

There are lots of pleasure boats and fishing types there and I guess we crowd their space. Kinda sad, isn't it ?

FreeFloat:
Ah, a double standard then.

First Rockport, now Brockville?!?!? What is with these guys!!!???

We all are painfully aware what happened in Rockport Freefloat....cough....undermichael...cough...free float.....cough...Sorry. a bit of a frog in the throat.

Might I suggest you never take up a career in politics or at least keep a wallet full of fivers if you do?

Rockport sounds like they have some smart people in counsel.................
4.1 No one can swim in the swimming area
4.2 No one can drive in the driving area
4.3 No one can walk in the walking area
4.4 No parking in the parking lot
4.5 No voting on election day

Jesus! is it just me, or is something f'ed up in Rockport

By the way.............. Good shore diving can be had in Kingston........
As of yet we have no $1000 fine for getting into the water here

d33ps1x:
We all are painfully aware what happened in Rockport Freefloat....cough....undermichael...cough...free float.....cough...Sorry. a bit of a frog in the throat.

Might I suggest you never take up a career in politics or at least keep a wallet full of fivers if you do?
LOL

Well at least you can't blame the Brockville attitude on me. I only filled my water bottles in Ganaonque enroute to winter dives in B-ville.

This type of stupididy by local politicians and business owners floors me. Perhaps scuba in the park should be cancelled and moved to a diver friendly location like Kingston

Just my 2 cents worth

with regards to diving in Morrisburg, (for what it's worth, lately its been pretty crappy there)
the locals have always been extremely friendly and polite when they see us... hey, what are you guys looking for? how long can you stay down? isn't it cold in there? etc etc etc

...off to go diving in Rockport (Keystorm) Lets hope I make it on the boat alive :D

[Rockport locals don't HATE divers ,we hate every body equally. You have to earn our respect and not with that better than tho attitude that I see so common there. I should know I live here and dive here! Unfortunatly it ts always the few who ruins it for the many
electric_diver:
The town of Rockport has had a hate on for divers for a very very long time.

Years ago (in 1996, when the one concrete dock was federally owned and thus open for all to freely access) we were down there for a Wednesday evening dive, and one of the locals berated us for being there.

He had had an issue with divers the night before who had sat on his dock and woke up his wife. He was in such a rage that he refused to listen to us. We were not the individuals in question. He maintained that we should know the divers (who he said were from Toronto - we were from Ottawa) and tell them to stay off his dock. He was beligerant and offensive and hated divers intensely.

I think he is a fairly typical example of the attitude of the Rockport locals towards divers.

Of course a few ignorant and disrespectul divers have contributed to this situation over the years.

I would have thought the disasterous 2002 and 2003 tourists seasons, plus the addition of a local dive business would have changed their attitude. I guess not.

Over the years the town of Rockport has been chipping away the access for divers to the local waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom