Rockport Wall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that RBL (Rockport Boat Line) is closed for the season, you are allowed to park in their parking lot. Washrooms and restaurant are closed.
Ramp has sign posted "No Diving or etc from ramp"
Line to Kinghorn has been moved to the East. It now starts at the South West corner of the Customs dock.
Personnally, park at RBL. Enter off Customs dock and swim west in 40 feet of water, you will meet up with a line infront of the Boathouse that will lead you towards the wall. This line is not complete to the wall.
Water temp this afternoon when moving the line was 56 degrees, vis was amazing.
Return along same route, either exit via customs ladder and dock or use newly installed ladder at RBL, North West corner of Customs dock and West end of RBL dock.
Next time in I will run a line from new line at Customs SW corner to line in front of Boathouse.

Later

rcs_scuba:
Return along same route, either exit via customs ladder and dock or use newly installed ladder at RBL, North West corner of Customs dock and West end of RBL dock.
Next time in I will run a line from new line at Customs SW corner to line in front of Boathouse.

It seems like everybody else can go and dive this site without any hassle. When we go, there is always a local trying to intimidate us into not diving.

An no, we don't make any trouble, we don't block the street, and we pay the parking fee if one is there to collect it.

Nov 13 & 14 Rockport boat dives. See "Trips And Happenings" at the top of the OFWF forums page.

Cheers,
Sean

rcs_scuba:
Now that RBL (Rockport Boat Line) is closed for the season, you are allowed to park in their parking lot. Washrooms and restaurant are closed.
Ramp has sign posted "No Diving or etc from ramp"
Line to Kinghorn has been moved to the East. It now starts at the South West corner of the Customs dock.
Personnally, park at RBL. Enter off Customs dock and swim west in 40 feet of water, you will meet up with a line infront of the Boathouse that will lead you towards the wall. This line is not complete to the wall.

Later

I just got back from the Kinghorn, I hope you are not the guy who put that white rope & army cord to the wall. Me & my dive buddy were wondering who could lay a line so BADLY, its horrible :shakehead , I will have to plan a dive just to fix the mess.

**ADVICE** If you're going to lay a line, please do it right because the part that runs to the wall just looks like debris (junk) on the river floor.

There is a fine for diving off the boat ramp. The by-law has passed and is enforcable year round. There are no seasonal provisions written into the law. The dive community had the chance to attend the town council meetings and voice our opinion and as a community we chose not to. Therefore, if folks are caught diving from the boatramp as I saw today, they will be rightly charged.

The original 550 cord ("army line") was laid by Doug and I 3 years ago when we started running to the Kinghorn from the boat ramp. We used cedar stakes to make tie-off's along the line to keep it taught. When Mike from RBL put in a ladder this year, he moved the end of the line and added the section of white line to it. Doug and I scootered out to the Kinghorn today along with Pat H and John I and yanked out 3 of our stakes as well as tightening our old line and replacing the stakes so that the line is properly laid. Doug and I have maintained that line ever since we installed it.

The reason we used green line that blends in was to make it harder for the recreational diver to find so they wouldn't end out following it out to the wreck and not having enough gas to swim back. The original line also started further off the wall, the idea being like in cave diving, you run your line in and tie off to the mainline which is out of the daylight zone and harder to find.

**Advice** You may want to consider one of the basic rules of cave diving. If you didn't lay the line, you don't pick it up or move it. You never know who is on the other end and relying on it to get out.

Kevin Ripley:
Therefore, if folks are caught diving from the boatramp as I saw today, they will be rightly charged.
Guys... it's about respect. Show the community of Rockport some respect and they may eventually embrace us again. Besides, to do otherwise will only cost us, not them.

The original 550 cord ("army line") was laid by Doug and I 3 years ago when we started running to the Kinghorn from the boat ramp. We used cedar stakes to make tie-off's along the line to keep it taught.
Nicest laid line I've seen around the area... and one of the few that have stood the test of time. Good job Kevin and Doug.

Kaos:
It seems like everybody else can go and dive this site without any hassle. When we go, there is always a local trying to intimidate us into not diving.

An no, we don't make any trouble, we don't block the street, and we pay the parking fee if one is there to collect it.

Ah, but do you enter or exit via the BOAT ramp. NOTE, It's a BOAT RAMP post "No diving, No Swimming".
Watched two nuts (divers) yesterday, exiting via the ramp while two guys are trying to get a good sized boat aboard a trailer in a crosswind. Not an easy task. Being IN the water behind/beside, while the engine running and prop engaged is just plain STUPID. :11: :11: Go to the East, enter with a giant stride off the Customs dock and exit via the ladder at RBL, how much simpler could it be?

So if I understood you correctly Kevin, you have already fixed the mess some other diver made, right?

When I first followed the white line, it was lying on the river floor & all loose, more of a hazard than help. The army cord was all wrapped arround the white one... what a mess.

Did you dive there Sunday?

Steve B.

Steve Blanchard:
So if I understood you correctly Kevin, you have already fixed the mess some other diver made, right?

When I first followed the white line, it was lying on the river floor & all loose, more of a hazard than help. The army cord was all wrapped arround the white one... what a mess.

Did you dive there Sunday?

Steve B.

Yes, we were out there on Sunday morning and fixed the line. It follows the same path it did last saturday, but is now straight and tight, and we took the big turn that it used to make by the little speedboat wreck out so it is shorter as well.

Don't get me wrong here guys, but most divers out there don't know much about running a line. That's why the run to the Gaskin looks like a plate of spaghetti. Doug and I put a lot of work into installing and maintaining the Kinghorn line since we are out there every weekend in the winter and early spring. We even went to Home Depot and bought 4' cedar stakes to make sure we have lasting tie-off's. Last year someone took it upon themselves to cut the end tie-off while we were on the wreck. Not a big deal when you can just head north and hit Canada, but it shows a lack of discipline and mindset. Imagine our surprise when we returned only 45 min later to find the last 100' of our exit line heading east in the current rather than North.

Kevin Ripley:
...most divers out there don't know much about running a line. That's why the run to the Gaskin looks like a plate of spaghetti. ...

Which one? The most recent - no idea whose - uses a good portion of industrial tie-down (white nylon tape). While I agree it could be far tighter and have more points, it's a far cry from spaghetti. Admittedly, the remnants of several other efforts are still billowing and tangling in the current.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom