Roll Call - Nikonos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Of course i still use the Nikonos, i have two Vs and one II.
Only use the 15mm anymore though, as can do the rest of the stuff with the slr.

In fact i am so ticked off with the sunbursts in Digital (D70) that i have now switched back to the Nik V and 15mm for a lot of my stuff even though i can't get my film developed anywhere near where i am...

mike that sucks

so where do you send your film to get processed then and what the turn arouond time ?

Tooth

Hey Tooth,

Ya it does kinda suck. I have to wait till i go to Palau. Will be there next month so that is ok. After that it may be 5 or 6 months before i head over there again...

Mike

mike had you thought about sending out for developing?

perhaps sending it back to the states(in xray bags) to get it done and then sent back to you (i know this is a long shot but it could be worth it if you were sending say 20+ roll lots back for processing).

Tooth

I still have my original II that I bought new in 1969 for $135, although the shuytter hasn't advanced for years now. The repairmen that I dealt with just rolled their eyes and laughed at the thought of rebuilding the innards. I went through 3 V's - all floods way overseas. The only lens I have anymore is the 20mm Nikonos lens - it was terrific. I used a bunch of Helix extension tubes for macro stuff - once they were dialed in, they were foolproof - just had to wait until the critter swam through the goalposts. I had an SB-102 strobe that I sold on eBay a few years ago - it was just too big to lug around. Only flash left is an old Popular F-1 that I bought in Japan while I was in the Navy. I loved the Nikonos system, but after switching over to digital stuff and electronic darkrooms, I couldn't go back.

I still have my original Nikonos I that I bought in Viet Nam in 1968. It is such an antique that it requires using flash bulbs, rather than a strobe. I have not used it in many, many years.

Nowadays, I use a NIkon Coolpix 5000. How things have changed!!!

I have a Nikonos IVA with the 35mm lens with a Ikelite MV and MP 50 I hope to do some work with this April in Key west. I have been using a Sea and Sea MM 35 SE with a YS60, of course it rolls over and dies at 65 feet. Looking forward to the added depth the Nik will give.

I shoot film and then have the developer do both negatives and CDs.

On the surface the Nik gives a dark bar at the bottom of the frame, even with proper exposure...looks like the shutter can't get out of the way. Hopefully that won't be an issue with the 1/90 speed for the flashes. Anyone have any experience with this phenomena?

Mike

mike

is this bar on the image a straight line or jagged? because if its the same and in all frames you may just need to get the shutter serviced as its not syncing with the speed set or maybe sticking, either way the shutter probably needs to get serviced.

FWIW

Tooth

Back
Top Bottom