Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It only worrying in that I’m diving where sand is always present, it isn’t much of a load area and it’s flat so a quick wipe should do all that’s necessary for it to cam together. Being able to put the gloves onto the rings so easily is great as is being able to adjust the glove without taking it apart is very cool, my hands are happy.

Congrats on getting your new setup. I am interested in knowing how it works out.

When looking at the system in the past I did not notice the sealing o-ring was in the face of the suit-side ring. It seems like the seal is made by contact of the o-ring in the face of the suit-side ring with the face of the glove side ring and compressed/locked in place by the bayonet mounting/locking design. It will be interesting to see how well this works and for how long....Do you think that as the parts wear that it will be prone to leaking?

Would love to test and review a set but not going to drop 135 Euros for the opportunity to do so....Been there done that with the 4E Ellipse system and it is now put aside to collect dust on a shelf in the garage.

Seriously interested in your thoughts and experience with this system.

-Z

Congrats on getting your new setup. I am interested in knowing how it works out.

When looking at the system in the past I did not notice the sealing o-ring was in the face of the suit-side ring. It seems like the seal is made by contact of the o-ring in the face of the suit-side ring with the face of the glove side ring and compressed/locked in place by the bayonet mounting/locking design. It will be interesting to see how well this works and for how long....Do you think that as the parts wear that it will be prone to leaking?

Would love to test and review a set but not going to drop 135 Euros for the opportunity to do so....Been there done that with the 4E Ellipse system and it is now put aside to collect dust on a shelf in the garage.

Seriously interested in your thoughts and experience with this system.

-Z
The cam type loading on this seal should help with longevity, it doesn’t look like a lot of compression is needed. I will know tomorrow.

To early to tell, each has a perceived benefit, in use the ultima is easy to put on and take off and have yet to leak, I’ve been diving my neo suit the past few weeks which had Antares which don’t leak but you have to pay close attention to alignment when putting them on.

With ultima you battle the glove mounting but the gloves don’t need to align with anything on the rings, the Rolock does need to be properly oriented to easily work but not nearly as critical as the Antares glove to ring alignment.

Edit, these, through Seaskin only cost a little over $100

Yeah, I wish Seaskin carried the Ultimas. As of today the Rolocks would be $123 shipped (from Seaskin) where as the Ultimas would be $180 shipped (from DRiS in the states).

I love my ultimas....but loading them was the least fun I've ever had while doing something related to diving.

Edit: I really like that with the ultimas I can "move" the ring where I want it, even under water. So if it feels a little off or whatever or I want a little different position of the glove no problem. I don't think you can do that with any other system except for the Kubi's.

The cam type loading on this seal should help with longevity, it doesn’t look like a lot of compression is needed. I will know tomorrow.

I wouldn't doubt that it works well when new...I would be surprised to learn otherwise. I am interested in if the cam type loading of the seal will still work as flawlessly as the bayonet locking system wears 6-months. 1-year, 2-years later. Perhaps the design takes that into consideration.

Also interested to know if side or oblique type load (or other load pattern) on the rings will cause leakage due to minute/temporary separation of the sealing surfaces.

-Z

I wouldn't doubt that it works well when new...I would be surprised to learn otherwise. I am interested in if the cam type loading of the seal will still work as flawlessly as the bayonet locking system wears 6-months. 1-year, 2-years later. Perhaps the design takes that into consideration.

Also interested to know if side or oblique type load (or other load pattern) on the rings will cause leakage due to minute/temporary separation of the sealing surfaces.

-Z
They claim 20 years with the concept in the standard system so perhaps someone with long term experience cam chime in, the 90’s are an adaption to the QCS PU rings that are in so many new suits today, they put out nice videos but the written info is scant.

Ok, two dives with these on my Ultra Seaskin.
First they are not as easy to put on as it looks in the video but that may be more of how I have them oriented and the glove length, will experiment and see how it goes.

Taking the apart is as easy as it looks in the video, just pull back a little, make a fist and turn, pop right off.

In use they were completely dry and the low bulk was great, I liked the Antaries for not being prone to hanging up on the shoulder straps while putting on the backplate, these were even better, my ultima’s will sometimes catch and twist the strap.

I think these are Swiss, and they fit the cliche of precision, they feel solid and precise like a Sig.

Second outing with these today, I had shortened the gloves, simple as they show, and moved the right ring a little so now it worked with little effort. Next I’ll put them on my shell suit and see how the work on more flexible material. So far pretty happy with the set up.

Used them on my trilam, perfection, the extra flexibility of the sleeves made them so easy to use, a new favorite!

Is the sealing ring position an issue when shore diving in sandy areas?

What do you lube the rings with?

Used them on my trilam, perfection, the extra flexibility of the sleeves made them so easy to use, a new favorite!

Can you take a few pictures of the suit side when you get a chance? I don't see any on the previous page.

I was also thinking, what happens if you load the glove in the wrong spot, or maybe not perfect to the way your hand and the ring sit. Can you spin it to get it to go where you want?

Back
Top Bottom