Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I understand the Rolock 90 is that it connects to the SiTech oval cuff rings that already exist on the drysuit. I like the videos and comments on the Rolock system but can someone speak to why it would be superior to just using the oval Antares glove system that is designed to be used in those same oval cuff rings? That's not a rhetorical question, I don't know the answer. I guess what I'm wondering is what the Rolock offers that's superior. Seems the Antares oval glove rings would offer a lower profile design that a hand would naturally fit through better than a circle. I do like the "rotate on" design of the Rolocks, but not sure if that offsets the advantage of the oval design. Part of the problem is there's so many options out there, I'm trying to get my head around this stuff.

The way I understand the Rolock 90 is that it connects to the SiTech oval cuff rings that already exist on the drysuit. I like the videos and comments on the Rolock system but can someone speak to why it would be superior to just using the oval Antares glove system that is designed to be used in those same oval cuff rings? That's not a rhetorical question, I don't know the answer. I guess what I'm wondering is what the Rolock offers that's superior. Seems the Antares oval glove rings would offer a lower profile design that a hand would naturally fit through better than a circle. I do like the "rotate on" design of the Rolocks, but not sure if that offsets the advantage of the oval design. Part of the problem is there's so many options out there, I'm trying to get my head around this stuff.
I used the Antares for quite a while, I have a few complete sets if you want to try them, they have there critics.

I’ll start with the good on the Antares, 1 nice and low profile, second to DUI zip lock in low bulk but;
They use two very small o rings to seal, this alone doesn’t serve as a problem for the most part when everything else is right.

2 ... when right they do work.

Now for the problem area;
1. they use an extended lock tab, some say those are easy to break, I never had one break but can see it as possible.

2. being oval they offer some challenge aligning the glove when setting the up.

3. Those lock tabs must be locked or the glove will leak, if anything keeps the from locking like the thick stuff you wear to keep warm they won’t lock, these is a little dohicky that you should always use that helps keep the access clear, it clicks in under the base.

The glove loading system is pretty easy but not easy to adjust glove length like the Rolock.
The Rolock is not much more bulk than the Antares and is round so you get a bit more lee way with positioning as you don’t have to align your hand with the opening.

Antares is a good low cost system and if set up properly serve well enough and you can enjoy dry hands that should be warmer.
The Ultima is a great system once the glove is mounted to the ring but that is the stuff of nightmares. It is more bulky that the other but less so than many other good systems.

The Rolock is easier to set up than either of the other two, it does need some attention to alignment but is pretty straight forward in that regard. I don’t have a ton of hours on the Rolock system but they have become my favorite, no leaks, East to put them on and take them off, amazingly easy.

The Antares tabs make putting them on a bit of a challenge because you have to assure everything is properaligned and the tabs are both on the inside and you must hear the tabs lock.

Thanks Lex for taking the time to pen that all out. It was helpful.

If you want to try a low-profile oval system designed to work with the si-tech QVS oval cuff system, there is a guy that posted a set of Fourth Element Ellipse for sale for $75.

For almost 50% of what they would cost retail, you can check them out and see if for yourself if you like the oval glove system. The Ellipse is a bit of an improvement in some ways on the Antares glove system:

1. No tabs to bend/break
2. A thicker sealing o-ring
3. Easy to adjust glove length once gloves are mounted on the glove-side ring

While some have had success with the Antares system, just about every other system on the market designed for use with the QCS Oval PU rings is an better/improved system than the Antares.

If you have questions about the different options available, don't hesitate to ask.

-Z

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Is there any reason you need to wear the wrist seals if it's cold and you're just going to use dry gloves? In other words, does anyone just take the seals out in the winter and then put them back in and use wet gloves in the summer? Is there any advantage or disadvantage? Seems if I know I am going to just wear dry gloves, I can save wear and tear on the wrist seal and have no need for any extra equalizing gadget? Then if the water is warmer, put the seal in and wear like a 3mm wet glove.

Another benefit is no branding.
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Is there any reason you need to wear the wrist seals if it's cold and you're just going to use dry gloves? In other words, does anyone just take the seals out in the winter and then put them back in and use wet gloves in the summer? Is there any advantage or disadvantage? Seems if I know I am going to just wear dry gloves, I can save wear and tear on the wrist seal and have no need for any extra equalizing gadget? Then if the water is warmer, put the seal in and wear like a 3mm wet glove.

If you experience a catastrophic glove failure you run the risk of flooding your entire suit with (potentially cold) water which is just about the worst thing that can happen in a dry suit. I don't think I'd trust some pvc/nitrile/rubber gloves that much nor I want to be paranoid about grabbing/touching stuff the entire dive. I often pick up trash or random gear that people has dropped.

If you keep your wrist seal and you have a glove problem you only need to remove whatever you are using to equalize the glove to restore the waterproof seal. I don't see too much of an advantage to forgo the wrist seals. It literally takes a second to put your fist through them.

But some people do take them off...

What size hands can you fit through the Rolock90 rings, with let's say a medium loft glove liner?

I don't know of a system that doesn't need a seal at all, but my only experience has been with the Ultimas. No matter what, I need a seal, at least the part between the suit and the hard ring. I can cut the seal from that point on and be "seal less" but technically I still needed a set of seals to get there.

I was skeptical about not having a full seal but one ripped last summer and I cut the other one down. Now all that stops the water is my Showa 720 gloves. I guess in a way it's a gamble, but to be honest it's a good bit warmer and more comfortable.

I would have never tried it but one ripped and now I don't think I'll go back. Ymmv.

Edit: @Deep South Divers swears by this method and he scrapes barnacles from boats all day with 720's and hasn't ripped one yet. I've got 30 dives or so and haven't ripped one. They look brand new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom