Romblon lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ll be heading to Romblon soon and will be taking a ferry arriving at 2 am into Romblon (Romblon).
We won’t be picked up till daylight so wonder if there is a hotel to rest for 4-5 hours.

Also, if you’ve been lately, where did you stay and how was the diving/conditions?
It will be my first time diving there.

Thanks

Only a few choices to dive with on Romblon, so It can would probably be a good idea to arrange your spot. I stayed and dove with 3P's, it has a few different choices for accommodations, and when I ws there the food was really good ( can be hard to find in the PI), the dive operation was run just fine.
A operation there will have info on a hotel?

book with 3P. I went there and they are a good choice. You should find a taxi to bring you there.

Can't help, but would love to hear about your experience there, as well as any current travel details. We have it on our "Must Visit" list, but not sure we can squeeze it in this time. We have about two months left, and we would like to give Romblon a go for sure.:)

3P is not available.
Anyone stayed with Sunset Cove?

We did a few years back, and all I can say it was pretty awesome.
Place is run by a guy named Ronny Oliwka (+ family) - google around, he previously had a place in Palawan, that went from 0 to number 1 and was de facto the best dive center there apparently. Moved on to a different setting. Really nice folks, great equipment (he is an Apeks fan) and you can also do sidemount with him, if you are into this. He also owns a Romblon Fun Divers back in town, more of a backpacker place.

Getting there was very easy, Ronny arranged Manilla-Batangas transfer and the ferry to Romblon - contact him to get the private cabin on the overnight ferry, when we looked at ferry website one could not book it. Worked perfectly, we landed about 3 PM, drove to Batangas, ferry left at 6 PM. With private cabin one could both have a shower and sleep off the jet lag. By about 5-6 AM we were in Romblon, straight away picked up by Ronny's crew and ferried to the resort, then off to dive after breakfast.

Resort wise, when we were there, it was still quite new, very nice finish (especially considering the remoteness). Has about 5 rooms + a twin bungalow. All are absolutely huge inside, well appointed as well including big TVs (if you want to browse pictures) even HiFI set (in bungalow). Pool is also very nice, kinda infiniti end, well maintained etc. Grounds are also well maintained, there is even a waterfall.
Very clean and well run as well, folks there are super friendly and his family was also very welcoming, made us feel like home. Food wise also great, was never bored and you can decide what you fancy.

Diving wise was pure awesomeness. Apart from great guides, they are very accommodating, and its you who decide where you want to go. We even did exploratory dives around the island, not necessarily on official dive sites and some "test" blackwater trip. Dive time is whatever you want it to be.
And perhaps the biggest thing - there is a real boat with a real marine engine and a ladder to climb. That alone was a huge plus, as you could get to dive sites very fast (so no need to stay whole day on the boat, you come back to the resort for lunch). This also meant that trip to Blue Hole was not a whole day endeavor, more diving than time on the boat. And importantly, even with the engine on, you can still talk!
Bangkas are nice to look at, but cramped, especially if you carry lots of gear, or there is more than a couple of divers, and engines are absolutely deafening and leak fuel left and right. Did a couple of days on those when a bigger group came and we switched, and could not wait to go back to the normal boat. And did not miss climbing on the bangka like a fat seal neither.

Price wise was great value, felt almost silly to be honest, considering the quality. Resort is relatively big (as in grounds etc), and there is only a few rooms so there is plenty of space. It almost felt like honemyoon most of the time xD

One minus - there is a nearby village and the locals sometimes get tad inebriated on the beach to far side of the resort. No issues, nor they cause any trouble, but some might not like it.

As for 3P - originally looked at those, at the end went with Sunset Cove as it both looked very nice and owner reputation was stellar.
At the end felt like we made the right choice - turned out even better than anticipated. And "meet" 3P divers and their guide underwater a couple of times. Perhaps it was an exception but rarely seen such an ******* behaviour from both the guide and the guests - first grabbing subjects and moving them around so guest could take pics with black background easier. Then, as we were getting closer, throwing them around or/and covering with sand just not to share anything. All of this while stepping on every piece of coral in the vicinity. According to some local gossip (stressing the word "gossip" here), its not exactly uncommon behavior from that place.
Again could have been a one off, but it was never the less disgusting sight.

Thanks, Makar0n. Appreciate your input! I guess my wife and I will find out how they compare. We have a few days booked with Three P, and then a week with Sunset Cove. Ronny seems very accommodating so far. But, so does the staff writing the emails at Three P. 🤷‍♂️👍🏻🤣

Thanks, Makar0n. Appreciate your input! I guess my wife and I will find out how they compare. We have a few days booked with Three P, and then a week with Sunset Cove. Ronny seems very accommodating so far. But, so does the staff writing the emails at Three P. 🤷‍♂️👍🏻🤣

Enjoy, its real nice diving in that place, some nice nudis :) Make sure to head to Blue Hole and Cobrador Island, definitely worth it. There was also some nice diving (well at least we liked exploring there) in the bay (facing west), across the village from Sunset Cove. Not an official dive site, but if you ask nicely.
Sheep nudis hide in the bay south of Logbon :wink:

We did a few years back, and all I can say it was pretty awesome.
Place is run by a guy named Ronny Oliwka (+ family) - google around, he previously had a place in Palawan, that went from 0 to number 1 and was de facto the best dive center there apparently. Moved on to a different setting. Really nice folks, great equipment (he is an Apeks fan) and you can also do sidemount with him, if you are into this. He also owns a Romblon Fun Divers back in town, more of a backpacker place.

Getting there was very easy, Ronny arranged Manilla-Batangas transfer and the ferry to Romblon - contact him to get the private cabin on the overnight ferry, when we looked at ferry website one could not book it. Worked perfectly, we landed about 3 PM, drove to Batangas, ferry left at 6 PM. With private cabin one could both have a shower and sleep off the jet lag. By about 5-6 AM we were in Romblon, straight away picked up by Ronny's crew and ferried to the resort, then off to dive after breakfast.

Resort wise, when we were there, it was still quite new, very nice finish (especially considering the remoteness). Has about 5 rooms + a twin bungalow. All are absolutely huge inside, well appointed as well including big TVs (if you want to browse pictures) even HiFI set (in bungalow). Pool is also very nice, kinda infiniti end, well maintained etc. Grounds are also well maintained, there is even a waterfall.
Very clean and well run as well, folks there are super friendly and his family was also very welcoming, made us feel like home. Food wise also great, was never bored and you can decide what you fancy.

Diving wise was pure awesomeness. Apart from great guides, they are very accommodating, and its you who decide where you want to go. We even did exploratory dives around the island, not necessarily on official dive sites and some "test" blackwater trip. Dive time is whatever you want it to be.
And perhaps the biggest thing - there is a real boat with a real marine engine and a ladder to climb. That alone was a huge plus, as you could get to dive sites very fast (so no need to stay whole day on the boat, you come back to the resort for lunch). This also meant that trip to Blue Hole was not a whole day endeavor, more diving than time on the boat. And importantly, even with the engine on, you can still talk!
Bangkas are nice to look at, but cramped, especially if you carry lots of gear, or there is more than a couple of divers, and engines are absolutely deafening and leak fuel left and right. Did a couple of days on those when a bigger group came and we switched, and could not wait to go back to the normal boat. And did not miss climbing on the bangka like a fat seal neither.

Price wise was great value, felt almost silly to be honest, considering the quality. Resort is relatively big (as in grounds etc), and there is only a few rooms so there is plenty of space. It almost felt like honemyoon most of the time xD

One minus - there is a nearby village and the locals sometimes get tad inebriated on the beach to far side of the resort. No issues, nor they cause any trouble, but some might not like it.

As for 3P - originally looked at those, at the end went with Sunset Cove as it both looked very nice and owner reputation was stellar.
At the end felt like we made the right choice - turned out even better than anticipated. And "meet" 3P divers and their guide underwater a couple of times. Perhaps it was an exception but rarely seen such an ******* behaviour from both the guide and the guests - first grabbing subjects and moving them around so guest could take pics with black background easier. Then, as we were getting closer, throwing them around or/and covering with sand just not to share anything. All of this while stepping on every piece of coral in the vicinity. According to some local gossip (stressing the word "gossip" here), its not exactly uncommon behavior from that place.
Again could have been a one off, but it was never the less disgusting sight.
Amazing info!
I was looking at the suite but that ferry schedule is once a week (2Go). At least when we booked. My friend and I did get into the 4 person cabin on the Starlite ferry though.
My only worry is the oil spill heading that way. I am in Puerto Galera now and it’s hit Verde island.
Who knows where the tide will take it.

Disturbing to hear that about 3P guides. Looks like we got lucky they were full.

Amazing info!
I was looking at the suite but that ferry schedule is once a week (2Go). At least when we booked. My friend and I did get into the 4 person cabin on the Starlite ferry though.
My only worry is the oil spill heading that way. I am in Puerto Galera now and it’s hit Verde island.
Who knows where the tide will take it.

Disturbing to hear that about 3P guides. Looks like we got lucky they were full.

Yeah seems 2Go has cut the schedules...probably Corona side effect. Checked out of the curiosity, suites now did show on some...Before it wouldn't - basically they apparently held it for "special / VIP " uses and would not let you book on the website. This is where Ronny came in :wink:
Definitely worth the money, was real nice to sleep off the jet lag in peace, without the karaoke noises. But I guess 4 cabin is not too bad neither, beats the open mass bunk bed area :p

That oil spill is worrying...seems right on the best diving spots around ;/

Enjoy the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom