Rookie Wreckers first NJ dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid:
Can too! I wore two of them while I was on a Blackbeard's liveaboard. The only purpose they served was to give me weird tan lines. I borrowed them and had to clean the chum off of them before returning.

Do you have any dive stories where you DON'T get sick????

MB104:
XJae....awsome pics from the Outlaw dive on the Coney Island. Can I put some of them on my website? I also maintain the website for the Outlaw diveboat. I'd love to put some of your pics on his site too.

Let me know.

Mike
thx. sure you can use some of them.
i just combined mine and chris' into one album.

you could put jay hanging right next to wayne. lol.
nice sites you have there. :wink:

Hey, so who wants to come out for some more ocean fun on Saturday??!!!! There are three more stops on the Blue Fathoms!! I'm going but the boat isn't full (we were gonna make this an all chick boat but my little buddy has a "family" to attend to. Such a hassle.... hehhee
We're suppose to go to the Colleen which is only 80 feet!! There are also stops on Sunday for the Algol!!! But I want company so come with me..... hehehe.

I usually take Bonine and it's worked great for me so far but the Shark River Reef isn't a short ride, also wasn't exactly smooth seas.

Bill - Can you not drink coffee with the patch or do you just not drink it because it can increase you risk for sea sickness?

Those other things I can do without, but I don't know how I can make it as early as you need to be there for the boats without any caffeine!!! I usually just drink one cup when I first get up, though, about 2 hours before the boat pulls out anyway.

I've heard they have it in a pill form now too, which is supposed to be just as effective, but with less side effects.

- Hmm, so I could be one of the few guys on an all chick boat? NICE!!!

Actually I can't do Saturday. My sister and brother-in-law just got a town house and they've been doing a lot of work. I'm the only A-hole from both families who really hasn't been there to help out at all. Too busy diving! But I finally agreed I'd help dad out there on Saturday.

I may be up for Sunday.
How much?
I assume we need to be there 6:15 - 6:30ish for a 7:00 departure?
I may want to try to get the patch before my next long trip though.

divinglife:
Hey, so who wants to come out for some more ocean fun on Saturday??!!!! There are three more stops on the Blue Fathoms!! I'm going but the boat isn't full (we were gonna make this an all chick boat but my little buddy has a "family" to attend to. Such a hassle.... hehhee
We're suppose to go to the Colleen which is only 80 feet!! There are also stops on Sunday for the Algol!!! But I want company so come with me..... hehehe.

For those of you that would like the "all chick boat", Long Island Divers Association is sponsoring its annual "Aqua Woman Dive" on the Eagles Nest out Point Lookout NY.
If interested contact them Long Island Divers Association

divinglife:

All chic boat? soundz fun, count me in next time... lol... Actually, this Sat I'll be at Dutch again for some additional training.

Chris, good story. Sorry you got sick, I've been there too... There were times I didn't even hit the water.. was "done" before even getting my suit on. Had the patch and the Relief Band, nothing helped. I have since discovered a Japanese drug called Semper QL.. used it once in Florida on a Grove and it did wonders! and no side effects! Can't wait to go out with you guys on a boat one of these days, however, I'll take fresh water over the ocean any day. Hence my summer is pretty much booked with Great Lakes, and St. Lawrence.

Good pictures.

Bill - Can you not drink coffee with the patch or do you just not drink it because it can increase you risk for sea sickness?

Chris,

Coffee and fruit drinks upset my stomach with all the motion of the boat. I know of no combinations of foods with the patch that are forbidden.

The best diet for any diver is to stay bland with the food stuff probably starting the night before (no killer chicken wings). I love my Coca Cola but that is also an upsetting drink and I usually save it for the ride back to shore.

My wife uses ginger and she claims it works for her. Start taking the ginger tablets the day before. I don't know if you can OD on them but she takes about 4 capsules every 4 hours. She does not stop until the last dive of the day. If she is diving consecutive days she stays with it.

Since I am a retired Navy type, I can at least tell you that being in the Navy and sea sickness is a fact of life. Some sailors take weeks to acclimate others never get the sea legs.

Since most of my service was with Naval Air, we did use 100% O2 to lessen the vertigo when doing night flights. Maybe a bit of Nitrox will help.

Next time I have an all chicks boat I'll let you know. Hey VTern, when are your Canada trips planned for??? I just went up to Lake Ontario last weekend and had a real good time. We were out in the middle of NOWHERE. And I have now learnt my lesson that you CAN get blown out even on a lake... hehhee. But the wrecks were quite nice although I saw 0 fish and a ga-zillion zebra mussels. My personal favorite was the City of Sheboygan.
But do let me know what you are planning as I wouldn't mind hopping in on another trip up north.

Bill - I know what you're talking about. My friend's dad was in the Coast Guard during Nam. He told us there were guys that got sick shortly after they left port and were pretty much out of comission until they returned. Just hope I'm not one of those to never get my sea legs.

Vadim - where can I get that stuff, mabe I'll try it next time at least if the patch or Scope pill doesn't work.

Actually Frank had a pretty funny idea. Just going out on his dad's boat a few days when we know it's going to be a little choppy, and not taking any medication. Does any one think that's a good idea to help get the sea legs quicker?

"Sea Legs" are learned for most people. Things such as looking at the horizon when a chill is coming or actually bobbing with the waves to keep the horizon steady becomes automatic. But nothing compares to training the brain that movement is OK.
Others are just lucky. Maybe their brains are wired differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom