Rubber or braided hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubber for everything except sm long hoses. Braided is easier to route along the tank there.

Rubber. Unless you are certain of the chemical composition of the inner hose (poly-ester bad, poly-ether OK) and you subject the hoses to high temperatures they can crystallize and basically come apart, clogging up the intake to the second stage: Nylon-Braided Regulator Hose Diving Emergency

Also see here: Alert Diver | Invisible Crystals

From a practical point of view, I don't like the feel of the braided hoses behind my neck and find they wear more on my drysuit seals and wetsuit hoods. Plus they are a bit more floaty than rubber. I don't know if it's just my luck but I have had more issues with crimps on the braided hoses vs. rubber.

Cheers,
TB

rubber though make sure the inner lining on the rubber hoses is not the same liner as the braided. The inner liner is the problem on the braided hoses and some of the rubber ones are using the same liner

Good point @tbone1004, I neglected to mention that. I'm glad you weighed in since you are a material engineer. I'm an aero so not much help on the material science aspect, other than the reading I've done :)

Cheers,
TB

rubber though make sure the inner lining on the rubber hoses is not the same liner as the braided. The inner liner is the problem on the braided hoses and some of the rubber ones are using the same liner

How to check inner lining material?

Can yu please share why? I'm not aware of the reasons for this.

Back
Top Bottom