Rudder installation on my OK Prowler 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, I have gone round and round in my head about buying a touring yak, because Florida Bay Outfitters is selling some SWEET touring boats.

But I simply can't justify spending that much money right now.

I want a sleeker boat for doing longer distance paddles. My boat is a bit on the wide and heavy side for touring...it's perfect for diving and fishing and short tours.

If I had a rudder, I know that I would pick up a great deal of efficiency and be able to do longer paddles. So, I think I will spend the money to add a rudder to my boat which will be the fraction of the cost of a sleek touring yak. One less boat to store in the garage, too.

There is NO WAY that I'm installing one myself. I read the directions and OMG I think that my dad had an easier time designing the X-15 rocket engine than I would trying to install a rudder myself. Not to mention that I don't even own the tools.

This is the LONG way of saying, does anyone know any shops within 100 miles of Fort Lauderdale who install rudders if you buy them from them? I'll gladly pay the install fee.

Debby I would think all of them would. Is this the one with the foot pedal controls or a hand control. You know it seems like you could make one out of lets say a Johnson Street sign. I saw one made online with scrap aluminum and pvc. It worked but was not pretty.

Kayak Jeff would do an install would he not? I hear about this guy all over and assumed he is very much in the know of Yaks.

Last year when I asked him, he said no, he does not install. I suppose I could check again, though.

Yep that reads pretty crazy. That is the foot pedal jobber. I could not figure out the knots for the retraction line for crying out loud. It sucks to drill out that huge hole to rig the steering line through seems like there would be a better way. OR I would at least buy a round hatch assembly and install it there after I was done better than drilling it out then just putting in a big black patch.

I do not understand why there is a bungiee attached to the retraction line?? Hmm I wonder if it needs a little play so it can move left to right? Hmm I think that is it. This line if kept tight would keep the rudder centered without any foot pedal pressure.

With the way that reads if I was a kayak shop I would be doing the install of those all the time. Upsell them on the hatch too.

Well, it turns out that Florida Bay Outfitters at MM104 in Key Largo would do the job and charge approx. $50+/- for labor, a STEAL. But they don't install them on weekend days, too busy. So, if I can't find someone up here (or if I can't arm wrassle Kayak Jeff into installing it) then I'll drop it off at FBO on the Friday morning of ITK for the job and pick it up Monday afternoon.

Eric, I have no earthly idea what you posted! :shakehead:

Debby-- during the installation there is a saucer plate sized hole drilled in the rear tank well area of your yak. Then they put a patch over it. I say if the hole is getting drilled then intall a screw type hatch there not just cover it with a patch. Installing a screw lid hatch and putting in the hatch is the exact same amount of time and work.

A-ha I see what you mean! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom