Rules for Divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky

Reaction score
Dear all,

Just new to this forum but I got an urgent question to ask. I started my Divemaster course in May 2001 in Holland. I finished all the theory and practice certifications, I only needed to make my o/w map. Due to my relocation to Dallas I couldn't finish this. Now I joined a new Diving school and want to finish my DM certification. My old School doesn't want to release all the paperwork from all the modules I already finished. They say it is over 12 months old so PADI rules say they are expired. Is this true? and is there no other way around it than to pay for a whole new course and do everything all over again?

Thanks,
Sharky

From the PADI Instructor Manual section on the Divemaster Course, "A referral expires after 12 months."

Check with PADI, but you probably could return to original center and complete the course with them. But a referral will not work in your situation.

Bummer, going back is not an option. Seems like a waist of money and time, at least now I know what to expect when I do it all over again.

Again, thanks...

You might could produce a map and mail it to him for evaluation? Seems like a small bit, and you might could work a way out to finish this remotely.

As I recall, the DM candidate must produce a site map, but I don't think the instructor has to supervise the project, only evaluate the complete map.

Just curious. If a referral expires after 12 months. does that mean that the course work also expires after 12 months? In other words, what would happen if there was no referral made at all?When does the clock start?

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
From the PADI Instructor Manual section on the Divemaster Course, "A referral expires after 12 months."

Check with PADI, but you probably could return to original center and complete the course with them. But a referral will not work in your situation.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Just curious. If a referral expires after 12 months. does that mean that the course work also expires after 12 months? In other words, what would happen if there was no referral made at all?When does the clock start?

If the referral is all that has expired, ask for another to be issued to you.

I actually just asked my old school to get all my information send to me. Their reply was that there is only a possibility for a referral within 12 months after someone quits the course.

Like Detroit Diver asked, could you go back and finish the course? If so then the qualifications are OK and the referral has expired. If that is true then the referral should be able to be reissued, or maybe it's just a PADI policy...

There is no option going back. I live in the US now and took my course when I was living in Holland. I don't go back there till March next yr for a brief visit. I want to finish my DM course here so in the weekends I can be an assitant at a local Diveschool. I appreciate the feedback though.:)

Sharky once bubbled...
There is no option going back. I live in the US now and took my course when I was living in Holland. I don't go back there till March next yr for a brief visit. I want to finish my DM course here so in the weekends I can be an assitant at a local Diveschool. I appreciate the feedback though.:)

I understand what you're saying, but the question of whether the qualifications have expired, or only the referral will be answered when you ask the old instructor / LDS IF you can finish up there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom