Rules for Divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like your old dive shop is just being a pain. If they gave you referral, yes it probably has expired but your paper work and course work should not. Getting them to turn it loose may be another story. Good luck in getting anything resolved. Getting PADI, or most any other agency to stand up to anyone, is like trying to nail jello to a tree.

you maroons....nailing jello to a tree is easy...just make sure you have picked a tree that is already laying on the ground, or have your chainsaw handy....why do you padi guys always make it so hard?

Whether a referral is possible after 12 months is not clear from the manual. I took it the same way that DD suggested, to wit, that the referral expired after 12 months, but that there was no limit on the time from for a referral to issue.

I would call PADI and ask them. If they agree with you, ask them for a letter. If they agree with your shop, ask them whether you can mail the site map, then ask for a letter.

I would not trust a shop that sounds as if it is behaving like a pain in the butt for the sheer joy of it. They should leave that to the trained professionals.

the clock starts when you finish your last training segment. That is to say that a referral is vaid for twelve months from the last completed portion of the course. I would presume that the same would be the case for the DM course.

But, there is no time limit for completing a course with the same instructor. So trying to work the mapping project with the original instructor would be the easy way to go.

Referals expire after 12 months, however, I do know that you can finish the course with the school you started. Now before you go and tell me that going back is not an option, all I'm suggesting is that only the map need go back to Holland. Contact them and ask them if you maped an area local to you now, and even went as far as getting the instructor from the LDS you wish to work with validate its accuracy, would this be sufficient? I cannot see why not. You get your certification, and they get another graduated student on the books.

It's worth a try.

I would think That after 2 years since begining your course, if you are keen to DM you would start it from scratch anyway.

Most PADI courses have changed much in the last 2 years, including many updates to the DM course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom