Rumour: Eon Core and Steel getting Bühlmann ZHL-16C Optional upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I heard a rumour from an employee at a divestore that Suunto is currently looking to release a software upgrade that you can buy for 70 odd pounds for the Eon Steel and Eon Core so they will also run Bühlmann 16c with Gradient factors instead of the fused RGBM they use now.

I have no reasons to believe he is lying, but you can never be sure. He did also tell me the Poseidon cyklon would be released with an mk3 first stage by early 2019, but that hasn't really happened yet. . .

The question is more, would you guys consider it a viable option for Technical Diving if Suunto did offer this algorithm with GF and 16c, or would it still not be a competitor with the Shearwaters/Ratio's/etc. in the world?

At the DEMA show in November 2018 they did discuss the additional Suunto algorithm. At that time nothing was mentioned about additional cost, I understood it would be included with a future routine firmware upgrade. They were also very specific that it would only be on the Steel and not the Core. Something could have changed since then, but don't make any assumptions or any buying decisions based on hearsay.

I believe that @Diving Dubai mentioned that he had heard the release of Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF for the Eon Steel had been delayed until fall.

Yes I've been told with info direct from the technical team - Sept earliest because all effort had been put into the D5 to get it released. It's be great if it was earlier but I suspect later...

The question is more, would you guys consider it a viable option for Technical Diving if Suunto did offer this algorithm with GF and 16c, or would it still not be a competitor with the Shearwaters/Ratio's/etc. in the world?

I can't comment about CCR nor Trimix but for other Technical diving (not huge long hangs) I'd be more than happy. I don't rate the Perdix and I have one. As soon as Suunto release the new firmware, and as long as it performs to expectations my Perdix will get retired to use as a loner/emergency backup and I'll be getting a second Eon Steel (although I'm really with the OSTC 4)

That said I can easily cross plan dives using my Eon on Fused with others running 16C The stop times are pretty much the same. Lots of nonsense written about the Eon generally by people who've never seen one let alone extensively dived one alongside other computers

As soon as Suunto release the new firmware, and as long as it performs to expectations my Perdix will get retired to use as a loner/emergency backup and I'll be getting a second Eon Steel (although I'm really with the OSTC 4)

Definitely need a second Steel just to keep your trim right. Diving just one, you have to switch it from side to side or you'll end up with one Popeye arm. It's a brick.

Edit:
firmware version 2 was apparently released for the Eon Core on 3rd March 2020. There is apparently an update of the Suunto Fused RGBM 2 algorithm included. No sign of a Buhlmann algorithm though. Not sure why this is such an issue as I would have thought it would be easy to implement.

No update for the Eon Steel as yet, possibly because the update for the core has just brought it up to equivalence with the Steel.

One option that does look positive and is missing from the Steel is the option to set staged recompression stops rather than a continuously varying ceiling.

Buhlmann will not be implemented on the core, quite simply because Suunto need to put some greater differential between the Steel and the core.

My last understanding (and its been 2 years since it was all announced) that the Core/Steel upgrades originally got pushed back because of the D5, The Core update now happened with RGBM2 was to be closely followed at the end of Q1/ early Q2 by the Steel with Buhlmann & RGBM2 - no doubt with teh current situation that's been pushed back again

I run the Steel as my primary and a Perdix as my backup and the Perdex is slightly more conservative (45-95 vs P-2), for me I'm more looking forward to havign RGBM2 and seeing what difference that gives against the Perdix, Buhlmann on the Eon would be a nice to have I'm not entirely sure how often I'd use it.

I would be "excited" if like the OSTC 4 (with Buhlmann and VPM) the Eon could run both RGBM2 & Buhlmann concurrently and you could switch between them during a dive if needed.

I am "miffed" that the core took precedence over the Steel for updates

Buhlmann will not be implemented on the core, quite simply because Suunto need to put some greater differential between the Steel and the core.

Wouldn't surprise me. Wouldn't bother me, either. Fused RGBM 2 is all most divers need. Change the personal adjustment down a notch if you're a rec diver who wants it to be more like Bühlmann.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom