Runaway buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really???? I'll look...:D

Packetsniffer has a good point. The hats are useful in making fast connections and disconnects and are even more useful when using gloves or mittens. I also use them on my drysuit hoses that did not come with a similar feature.
I often dive vintage gear with no BC, or with a horsecollar that is orally inflated. Never have to worry about that "failure point".

I'm glad I read this thread because we definitley did not cover this in confined or open water training earlier this year. I now have something else to practice while playing the underwater tourist. I'm also glad to hear you and your buddy came out of the healthy and wiser.

I had such a problem on the second dive after OW. I never exercised that and I did not recognize it.
didn't ascent fast because air went in relative slow and I could open the valve to get partialy rid of it, till the dm found my problem.
I felt pretty stupid after it.

tonka97:
Great post.

Demonstrates the necessity of treating our gear like the life support system it is.

Practicing configuring and de-configuring your equipment with eyes closed or in the dark makes a lot of sense.

How many of us would automatically recognize the problem and simply locate and disconnect the inflator hose?

Should be practiced a couple of hundred times.

Why on earth anyone would be diving from a boat without surface support is beyond me!

Plungebob:
Why on earth anyone would be diving from a boat without surface support is beyond me!
Who said anything about a boat? I might have missed something, but there was nobody mentioning a boat?

This is a great thread and thanks for the link to the "hose hat". I do not recall being taught to dissconnect the LP hose.

Tigerman:
The second thing that Im not likely to forget anytime soon is that if your inflator is stuck open, all you need to do is unplug the hose and you wont fill more air into the BCD.
Even if you're too narced to remember the quick-disconnect, the dump valve has way more capacity than the inflator, so as long as you keep dumping extra gas, everything should be OK.

FWIW, we've had this discussion here a few times, and it looks like unless you notice your buddy taking off and immediately do something about it, it's almost impossible to overtake and slow down a runaway diver, without really hurting yourself. (you would need to vastly exceed their ascent rate to overtake and stop them)

Terry

Diver Dennis:
Isn't that hose difficult to disconnect under pressure?

"Off" is easy. "Back on" depends on the connector and it's size.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom