Running an operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So it is one thing to see a dive boat from the diver point of view, but what is it like actually working or owning a dive boat operation/charter? What sort of things are there to worry about, and think about? What goes on above while we are down below?

it is damn hard work. I work for an operator on Florida's treasure coast. Our crew members are all highly trained at very advanced levels. A lot of time, effort and money has been spent.

It looks like we have a dream job in paradise. On a nice calm sunny day, all the divers are having an awesome time and we DMs are your best friends.

now try a pounding thunderstorm, 5-7 foot seas, cleaning up vomit while trying to stay on our own feet. And then there is that day when a diver surfaces coughing up blood and passes out.

but it still is a hell of a lot of fun!

Sounds like one cool job! And as long as the training is good, things can be pretty safe!

It's a real daydream job of mine, own a little boat 6-8 diver cap., go out on the great lakes in the summer and dive some great spots! Music in the background, some snacks or bbq post dive, be on the water with my girlfriend, and let the summer roll by. Offer a decent rate and dive with shops I like, it would be the best... lots of work... but pretty good.

It is hard enough running your own private boat for family and friends, without doing it for strangers as a business. I at least can decide not to go out if the weather conditions are less than 100%, as a charter operator you cannot afford to do this.

It is hard enough running your own private boat for family and friends, without doing it for strangers as a business. I at least can decide not to go out if the weather conditions are less than 100%, as a charter operator you cannot afford to do this.

actually we frequently will opt not to go out if weather is not good. Once we see 4-5 foot seas or a very strong chop, it is just not safe to put divers in the water. The boat can handle it but a boatload of seasick divers, or divers falling, or having issues getting up the ladder are not worth the money. We had questionable weather a couple of weeks ago, started out but as soon as we broke the inlet, we turned around (choppy with occasional 6 foot seas). no argument from customers, they liked our safety approach and, of course, we comped their next trip.

actually we frequently will opt not to go out if weather is not good. Once we see 4-5 foot seas or a very strong chop, it is just not safe to put divers in the water. we turned around (choppy with occasional 6 foot seas). no argument from customers, they liked our safety approach and, of course, we comped their next trip.

Well, when do you get to clean up the vomit in the 5-7 foot seas you spoke of in your first post?

Hey Sheeper, when did you say to yourself, I am going to get into dive boating? what level of experience did you have? Certainly there is a good reason you decided to, and not to clean up vomit lol.

actually we frequently will opt not to go out if weather is not good. Once we see 4-5 foot seas or a very strong chop, it is just not safe to put divers in the water. The boat can handle it but a boatload of seasick divers, or divers falling, or having issues getting up the ladder are not worth the money. We had questionable weather a couple of weeks ago, started out but as soon as we broke the inlet, we turned around (choppy with occasional 6 foot seas). no argument from customers, they liked our safety approach and, of course, we comped their next trip.
I am actually not talking about unsafe conditions, just bad conditions. For example. tomorrow (Saturday) in Sydney the forecast is good for seas and winds for diving in Sydney. However, there is a big chance that it will rain quite heavily. I have the option not to go if I do not like it. If it is pouring rain at 6 am when I check, I will cancel. No monetary loss to me and my friends are also happy if I do this. Paying customers would probably not be happy.

By the way, I have been a licensed Coxswain since 1991, and have been taking our my private boat since that date, at least 1,300 runs as far as I can figure out.

We no longer go out in conditions where wind is forecast to be over 15 knots (except from the west which is offshore) or rough seas. The weather available on internet means that we get it right probably 95% of the time, much better than 15 years or more ago where we frequently turned around once in the open sea.

Anyway, my point was you will have to go out in less than optimium weather (but still safe) conditions if you want to make a living.

Anyway, my point was you will have to go out in less than optimium weather (but still safe) conditions if you want to make a living.

oh quite true! during our winter going out in 3-4 foot seas when there is a light rain and the air temps dip into the 50's (or 40's) is a miserable day for the crew. It's just bumpy enough so that we need to be extra careful and pay even closer attention plus we get to stay cold and wet while the passengers are kept comfy and warm.

And as forecast, I cancelled as it was raining from about 4 am. Wind and sea conditions were okay, two other private boats went out, but the dive was not that great since we had over 250 mm of rain fell two weekends ago and the water has not yet cleared up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom