Rust on bottom of OMS Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I apologize if this has been discussed in another thread. I didn't see anything in the archives.

I have a set of double OMS 108's with the tank boots removed. The paint is getting scratched off the bottom of the tanks and they are starting to show a little rust. Is this something to be concerned about? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a) Removing the rust and B) Preventing any future rust (besides selling the OMS and getting PST's)?

Thanks,

Wing

Welcome to the club!!!! I have become a professional cylinder rust remover. I have two sets of OMS/Faber 112's. The paint gets scratched off pretty easily. I have alot of scuff marks on my cylinders from a guy using them without boots. I also lost alot of paint underneath the bands when removing the bands. When I did the visual this year (just last week), I noticed a couple of things. First, filing down the rust and paint to bare metal and then spraying Rustoleum over it works very well (last year's paint job held up!!!), and two, DONT remove the bands until the cylinders have warmed up to room temp again (from draining the cylinders). If you remove the bands while they are still cold (or while the cylinders are still cold from draining them), you WILL take paint off with the bands. Found that out the hard way. This year, didnt lose anymore paint.

Of course, the best solution is to get rid of the rust monsters and get yourself some good cylinders (PST)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom