RV vs Conversion for family/solo dive trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Keith Blair

I'm also in Tampa and share similar requirements as you.

I'll share my experiences having gone down the "overlanding" path over the past 14 years and owned everything you're probably contemplating.

MY EXPERIENCE:

(1) RTTs are really popular lately (I was an early adopter back in 2008) but are probably too small for your needs and likely unbearable for most people in Florida's heat.

BTDT.

(2) The pop-up camper will give you great conveniences but offer very little space for equipment.

BTDT.

(3) An expedition-grade, totally bespoke, all-terrain RTW camper will beckon you, promising to solve all your problems and usher in a whole new way of life. If you're still pre-retirement in a busy career, a custom RTW camper is a mirage and a waste of money.

BTDT.

So, where did I land after trying everything out?

I purchased a Ford Transit 250 a year ago because it provides me the right balance of cargo capability, configuration flexibility, driving convenience, fuel economy and low maintenance overhead.

I can pull out my track motorcycle, ramps, tools and associated track gear in less than 20 minutes and then lay in my wooden frame (secured by the OEM cargo tie downs) to haul two twinsets, four decompression bottles, two boat crates, two DPVs, various exposure suits, a large cooler and other associated kit in about 20 minutes. In either configuration, I have everything I need to survive / thrive for 72-96 hours sleeping at the track, the dive shop parking lot, marina, etc. It's a metal tent on wheels.

AMPLIFYING CORROBORATION:

I recently had business with a former motorcycle racer (Fred) who now owns a premium race component fabrication company. He asked me how I liked my van and if I had any plans. I replied positively with a few modest ideas. Fred pushed open the door and shared that he had gone all in outfitting two Sprinter vans for his racing career and, in the end, totally regretting it. The first one was an experiment and he learned a lot. The second one was supposed to solve problems from the first one but turned out to be another expensive undertaking that still missed the mark. Fred said to access one thing, he had to move two things, get done with the first task and then put everything back. He encouraged me to keep my van as austere as possible because it provided a blank slate for whatever my needs are.

Fred further advised me NOT to get a rooftop air conditioner. He said he never slept because all rooftop A/C units are noisy no matter what the sales brochure claims. Instead, he recommended purchasing a small room air conditioner (readily available at the local home improvement warehouse and MUCH cheaper) and run the exhaust vent to the passenger or driver side window once parked. Fred shared that what one gives up in floor space will be made up for with a peaceful night's sleep. Granted, this means one is either parking where there's electricity or bringing a small, quiet generator and fuel.

Another buddy (track rider and fellow diver) owns a custom Sportsmobile Sprinter. I found him one day looking inside my van (it's still bone simple) and he commented that he wishes he could start all over because he bought way too much van and that he and his wife don't even take the van diving anymore.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

I'd recommend picking up a Transit 350 passenger van with the high roof and extended body. You can take out the extra seats leaving just the first row (behind the cockpit) for the kids.

You can easily build a loft bed out of furniture grade plywood in the very back that sleeps two up top and two below and still have space below in the "garage" for SCUBA cylinders and gear. I'd build your rack so the cylinders stow horizontally rather than vertically. This will preserve sit up space for folks in the lower bunk. The folks in the top bunk will be able to partially sit up. NOTE: You will be challenged to do this with a Medium roof van.

The cooler (like an Engel 85) can latch down just in front of the lower bed so it's easily accessible from the back seat and serves as a step for the top bunk.

If you buy a cargo van, buy one with the black OEM interior liner. You can use this as a template for cutting your own 1/4" plywood if you want to spruce things up.

You may choose to install some cargo management tracks. I'd opt for the L-track rather than E-track. E-track is really large whereas L-track is much more foot friendly and provides just as much cargo security.

I've driven my van all up and down the Atlantic coast and back and forth from Tampa to Jupiter and Lauderdale by the Sea. I get killer gas mileage at 68-72 mph (as high as 23mpg) and can easily park just about anywhere a passenger car can.

The van drinks 87 octane fuel without blinking so that saves at the pump.

My oil changes cost $40 at Ford dealerships.

Check out Jumbo Truck Plaza in Hollywood, FL. They purchase 20-40 fleet vans from Enterprise, Hertz, Budget each year. The rental agencies offload their fleets every when they hit around 30,000 miles. You can pick up a lightly used van for $20-30k less than new and still have warranty left on the vehicle.

I'm working temporarily in Virgina otherwise I'd offer to link up and go through whatever questions you might have.

I like the idea of re-purposing an ambulance but that will require some skill to un-fit some of the up-fit.

Have fun and best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom