RV vs Conversion for family/solo dive trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know diesel is a nightmare right now but the cost at the pump is made up for with the cost per mile. The GVWR and tow capacity (if needed) is vastly superior. Add to that the mileage and you're now in the black when it comes to the pump. A gas motor home (out similarly sized van) is likely to get in the 8-10 mpg range if you get a smaller version. Go up to a 30ft one and you're in the 4-6 range. Diesel will stay at or above 10 mpg. If you get a truck then the gas mileage is 14 before hooking up and and soon sub 10 after. Diesel starts at 20 and drops to mid teens with a very large trailer. The green handle is the best option no matter how you look at it.

Depends on how new you are looking at. I know several people switching out there new diesel trucks for gas burners. About 1998-2008 was the golden age of diesel. The modern emission stuff really puts a dent in it.

But you have to know what generation of powertrain is being referenced. If you are looking at classic big blocks, yes diesel is way better.

Depends on how new you are looking at. I know several people switching out there new diesel trucks for gas burners. About 1998-2008 was the golden age of diesel. The modern emission stuff really puts a dent in it.

But you have to know what generation of powertrain is being referenced. If you are looking at classic big blocks, yes diesel is way better.
Our 2020 GMC Denali 3500 is a powerhouse that gets 22+ on the highway, 17 in town and 12 when towing a 32ft 10,500 trailer on the hitch. The newer age diesels have more power available off the lot than the older gen, but have a lot more computer crap going on too. The 2003 Silverado 2500 HD got similar mileage except when towing the same trailer it was in the 8-10 range. The new ones are fantastic especially when paired with a 10 sp transmission.

Do you need AC or can you rough the lobster-steamer that Florida calls summer? Pickup truck (would recommend 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel but that's just me) with a camper shell and a box trailer may be an idea. The truck and trailer space is configurable as needed. With a little creativity (lots of videos on youtube) the trailer can be built out modular with hanging or Murphy type beds or other. Since you're camping maybe toss in a couple of tents. A small generator can run a small window AC. Do you plan on campgrounds or boondocking? Age and size of divers would also be a factor, I've been looking at camper trailers for a similar quest and at 6'2" most are too cramped for me. There are also some pretty cool tent out campers designed for off road boondocking but not for $20k. There are tons of videos on Youtube on campers that will give you some pretty good ideas about things you have not thought of yet. Some of the survivalist have some cool ideas on building out their "bug out" trailers, just use the storage space for dive gear rather then food and munitions. :) It all kind of depends on you and your family. Had a dive friend some years ago that towed a small box trailer behind his SUV with all his dive gear. They would camp out in the trailer somehow handling the TX summer heat.

You may want to do some more research on the economics of diesel especially for towing.

I can share my experience;

I have a newer Pacifica that we use to tow a small popup. It's awesome. I can get away with diving for 2 easy, but 4 would be pushing it. I would need a bigger tow vehicle. There's no way tanks, suits, dive gear, camping gear could all work (for 4).

Ours is supposed to be able to tow 3500, but realistically it's more like 2800-3000.

We've done camping / diving before, but it ends up being 2 vehicles. One will pull the camper and one for the smaller enclosed trailer with all the dive gear. That was awesome for 7 divers. The popup was cramped, but we're all family, we all get along. 2 days no problem, I wouldn't want to do more than say 4 or 5... but that's just me.

I don't know how the popup would stack up to FL heat. It works great in MD / VA / PA, but FL sun is a different animal. If in the shade, no problem, but if in the sun I think you'll feel it. I've also never camped and did salt water diving. Freshwater is pretty easy, but rinsing gear and bodies from salt would be a pain while camping. Just a thought. I'm sure there's people that have done it at the campground, but that would be tough. Some people might not care... I'm a bit of a neat freak when camping. Get all the dirt and crap off of you before coming inside and it's less I have to clean up later. Maybe campgrounds in FL have areas setup specifically for divers?

Ours popup has indoor / outdoor shower, AC, heat, toilet, refrigerator, sink, and cooktop. I love it. Takes about 25 min to setup and you're good.

Something else to think about too, camping in an rv is an entire other "thing" you have to deal with. The maintinence, the headache, the setup. There's something to be said about just getting a cheap hotel in Florida City and driving to the keys every morning. We have done that, will probably do that again... you won't see me hauling a popup down there, but I don't live ~ 8hrs away either. Honestly I probably still wouldn't. I'd haul the smaller enclosed trailer and rent as cheap as I could find.

Good luck!

A family of 4 divers, and you're probably looking at a motorhome or trailer. Sleeping 4 in a van would be near impossible without some serious modification and cramping, not to mention where you'd store scuba-gear, food, etc.

After experience with an used motorhome, I'd truck & rv-trailer combo. The issue with every motorhome, is...
  • You basically have a "truck welded to a rv-trailer", which you cannot detach. You cannot use the "truck" without also lugging the house around with you.
  • Motorhomes are more costly than purchasing a separate truck and seperate rv-trailer.
  • Motorhome living space is smaller, than an equivalent rv-trailer.
  • Maintenance on the motorhome is a giant pain. You have to take it to a place which specializes in motorhomes or large trucks.
  • Driving (i.e. to a dive spot) and finding parking is a giant pain. It's quite common for places to get antsy or angry at people who pull up in a motorhome and stay in place for more than an hour.
  • Every time you move, you have to ensure everything is secure, and then the motorhome itself is quite cumbersome.
  • If there are mechanical problems, that's a much larger towing-bill, and you lose access to those "house" until it's fixed.
With a $20k budget, I recommend finding a smaller ~20ft bumper pull RV trailer for about $10k to $12k. Next, find a used pickup truck or SUV rated to pull that much weight for the remaining $10k to $8k.

Each time you go diving somewhere, leave the RV-trailer at the park, and take the family and scuba-equipment in the truck/van.

A concern i would have with RVs is breakdowns on the road and having to get a car and hotel while waiting to get it fixed. Not every place can work on those things.

Watch the payload weight on camper trailers. They sometimes don't have a lot of extra capacity.

I know you said no way to tow a trailer, but maybe a smaller tow vehicle plus trailer ends up about the same price as one large vehicle. Anyway, trailers can be great:
trailer.png

Nice spot for gearing up. Hot shower inside and outside, and lots of room for gear for 4 people. You can't sleep in one this size, so maybe a van as a tow vehicle. Maybe nice to keep your (wet) gear separate from everything else also, unless you want to be living in a stinky mess. This was a boat trailer which we bought for $500. We tore off the boat skids and put down the wooden deck, and the box was built pretty cheap also, just that cheap metal from Home Depot on the outside, plywood and simple studs on inside, under $2500 for everything including a propane tankless water heater and small water pump.

I know you said no way to tow a trailer, but maybe a smaller tow vehicle plus trailer ends up about the same price as one large vehicle. Anyway, trailers can be great:
View attachment 741884

Nice spot for gearing up. Hot shower inside and outside, and lots of room for gear for 4 people. You can't sleep in one this size, so maybe a van as a tow vehicle. Maybe nice to keep your (wet) gear separate from everything else also, unless you want to be living in a stinky mess. This was a boat trailer which we bought for $500. We tore off the boat skids and put down the wooden deck, and the box was built pretty cheap also, just that cheap metal from Home Depot on the outside, plywood and simple studs on inside, under $2500 for everything including a propane tankless water heater and small water pump.

This is brilliant. After living up to 6 months at a time in a tent or less in the army, I am all in for RVing. That said, I don't care as much for kitchen space (we usually cook outside) or even sleeping space. I usually refer to my RV as a $30k towable shower. THAT is why I haul the dang thing around.

This is brilliant. After living up to 6 months at a time in a tent or less in the army, I am all in for RVing. That said, I don't care as much for kitchen space (we usually cook outside) or even sleeping space. I usually refer to my RV as a $30k towable shower. THAT is why I haul the dang thing around.
My wife always wants to go hiking and camping but chastised me if they're isn't somewhere nearby to rinse the sweat and dust off... 95% of the time we drag a 32ft hygiene facility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom