Rviews of Halcyon Scout light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget that a "backup" light is for many people just that - a backup light that is guaranteed to work and get you out of the fan if your primary dies. Cheaper lights are fine for recreational scuba.

For technical diving, as the original poster asked, where wrecks or caves may be involved, I would not rely on a $20 backup. The o-rings on many commercial lights are very thin in cross-section compared to the beefy o-ring(s) on the Scout type lights. I've had commercial lights flood, but not the delrin type, and I apply even care and attention to all of my gear.

But the UK SL4s are nice for the money :)

I have 2 scouts that have been on my rig for a few hundred dives. The only thing I've ever done to them is to occasioinally change the battery.

I have actually used them only a couple times, on recreational night dives when my buddies light failed.

They still work the same and look the same as the day I put them on my rig.

If you're going to do a bunch of dives where you don't really need a backup light, then get something else (if you need to save money). If you are going to jump into a cave tomorrow, get the scouts.

Just my opinion of course.

I did go with the Scouts. It's looking good. Although i did accidently roll it on during the dive (seems like a common thing) How to avoid this? How far can you turn it off, i'm afraid of turning it too much since it then may start leaking.

herman once bubbled...

I have 2 that have 50-60 dives on them, several at around 100ft with no problems. These were purchased at the local home improvement store for $20 each. Keep the O-rings clean and lubed and they work fine. At a 4 to 1 cost I can afford to replace the occasional one if it floods.

I had one that never failed me until it was run over with the truck....

You can find them on e-bay for less than 10 bucks regularly....and if you keep them cleaned they work just fine for rec depths.....now for anything beyond that, you're pushing your luck.

padishep once bubbled...
but it's not Halcyon..and, and it won't match!

Then everyone will think you're a wanna be. Then people will stare at you and think you're an accident waiting to happen,

and............ well, my, my this is not good.............

:rofL:...funny stufff....I like people thinking I'm an accident waiting to happen, they'll leave me be.

I've seen some aluminum cased backups recently and there is definitely one thing to watch on those. When i got my canadian extreme ones last year, the knurling on them was a bit rough and i sanded them down a bit to save the armpits on my drysuit from getting roughed up. I've seen a few aluminums that have a very rough grip on them that would absolutely tear apart a drysuit/wetsuit within a few dives if they were warn under the arms. On the same shelf though, one had a completely acceptable grip that looked smoothe enough not to do any damage.

These were painted black and if you were to sand the grip down on these ones, the silver colored aluminum would be showing and very messy looking.

Its just something to be aware of.

steve

SwedishDiver once bubbled...
I did go with the Scouts. It's looking good. Although i did accidently roll it on during the dive (seems like a common thing) How to avoid this? How far can you turn it off, i'm afraid of turning it too much since it then may start leaking.

Go half a turn past off.

I purchased a Scout light from Extreme Exposure for $90.00 and I love the way it stays put away attached to my webbing. It is easy to access when needed. And works well.

However, it is not as bright as the $25.00 Ikalite (sp?) that I originally purchased when I was first certified. The Ikalite is not as streamline and is a bit strange when clipped on as it is a dangly. Or, you can put it in a pocket. I don't really use it anymore. I take it along for an extra in case someone doesn't have a light or theirs goes out.

For what it is worth. R

I used to use a SL6 for my main light and the SL4 as the back up. On a trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef - the main ran out of battery half way thru the dive, and the back up failed to activate (my fault for not checking it).

I must have been flooded at some point as the silver was all worn off!

I have now bought a Scout to use as my back up and I check the lights before I go in the water.

=-)

(( learning from experience ))
(( learning from you too ))

The rubber surround on the scout light head keeps coming lose on my light. I think I'll try some superglue.

zimm once bubbled...
The rubber surround on the scout light head keeps coming lose on my light. I think I'll try some superglue.

Mine too, I was quite surprised that it could pull right off! I havn't tried it but it does move off quite easily with out my knowing.

Any one know if this is a feature or is it an issue with the current batch of Scouts. Were the older versions like this? Is it ment so that you can take apart the globe and front section?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom