RX 100 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am familiar with their hdmi cables and they are ok, not anything great. I would not trust my $600 camera in it. I have a nauticam housing and could not be happier, though it is quite a bit more expensive than this one.

If, not sure they are, the seals are typical of other more expensive housings any reason why this would not be worth while trying. I understand flooding the camera is the issue, but that could happen with any housing.

There are people here that are more knowledgeable than me on this. In my experience when I looked at some of the cheaper housings, some where generic and you couldn't acess all the controls and just seemed very cheaply made. The nauticam housing is about $950 but is machined aluminum and is actually made to fit that camera. My personal opinion for me is that I had spent $650 for the camera, why would I skimp and go with a cheap housing to fit it. But yes, any housing can flood.

I'm looking at this similar to GoPro, inexpensive housing that does the job. My GoPro has never leaked or caused me any issues. I do agree about not skimping on a cheap housing.
I was on Monoprice's site, I purchase custom installation products for my company and came across this, whether or not I buy, I don't know. For the price it may be worth trying out without the camera in it on a few deeper dives and see if it floods.

I would say you have made up your mind

youu have to factor in tho that the GoPro housing only has 2 buttons compared to a compact housing which has 8+. More failure points.

The one you posted looks similar to the meikon/meike brands and I know people that use them. Quality is hit and miss tho, one person's housing is doing great while the other one rusted within a month of use (rust wasnt on the tips but also the parts in the acrylic), sticky buttons, etc.

If, not sure they are, the seals are typical of other more expensive housings any reason why this would not be worth while trying. I understand flooding the camera is the issue, but that could happen with any housing.

This seal is not typical of 'more expensive housings'. This style is more typical of the OM housing designs that one sees from Canon etc. The single plastic latch is also.... plastic.
106033.jpg
This O-ring type is very loose and can be removed by pinching with the fingers. It is common to find salt and sand debris in the O-ring groove which needs constant inspection before/after every dive.
nau.17310-450px_3.jpg
It may be more difficult to see this as the O-ring is black on black, but it is deeply recessed requiring an O-ring tool to remove. This type is used on the more expensive housings from Nauticam, Recsea, Patima etc. I lightly grease mine (Patima) every dive and remove and wipe it completely every 5 dives or so. There is little to no salt inside the groove after dives.

2 stainless steel latches will beat plastic every time.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I see the value in the Nauticam and others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom