RX100 with UWL-100 Vignetting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeaDLocK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I read reports online that the RX100 in a Nauticam housing with an Inon UWL-100 Achromat Type II lens and companion dome "does not vignette".

So I buy exactly all of this as my kit, and I get terrible vignetting fully wide at 28mm (interestingly the amount of vignetting is the same on land as submerged in the sink?).

I need to zoom in to 35mm equiv to get rid of the vignette.

Does this sound right to you?

I was thinking I could shoot at 28mm equiv with no vignette!

On the bright side, the lens is amazingly sharp...

It is a lens designed for 35mm why would it not vignette at 28?
Besides what's the problem the lens is sharp anyway?
The only real issue is that this lens even with the dome gives max 135 degrees
If you wanted to go cheap an Ad mount and UFL165 would have been a better fit

Thanks! Yeah the field of view at 35mm is good enough for me (still plenty wide for CFWA), so I won't complain - just thought that declarations of "no vignetting" were a bit misleading. I guess they meant at 35mm! :)

Yeah should have done more research but I already have a pretty complete setup, M67 notwithstanding, so it's time to stop talking and go diving. :)

Hmmm, I have shot the RX100, Nauticam, UWL 100 + Dome extensively and have not had this problem. I note when I have the sun shade on I get a tiny, tiny bit of vignetting in the upper corners. If you are screwing the lens into the housing it is surprising you are having to zoom in at all. Just rattled this shot off in the backyard at 28mm. How are you mounting the lens?

All the wide angle photos in this group were taken with this combo.
Aquablue Dreams

The UWL 28 is also a nice option with a 67-52 treaded adapter
Lenses & Filters :: Wide Angle Lenses :: Fix UWL-28 Wide Angle Lens -

I think the confusion is that Mjh shoots the UWL-H100 new lens for 28mm equivalent camera no vignette issue
The op instead has bought a seconds hand old UWL-100 designed for 35mm, this lens as flat does not vignette but with the dome it does
In terms of optical quality I have had both lenses and the old achromatic is better but the dome solution yields less field of view

MJH, the plot thickens!!! Thanks for posting!

I really need to get to the bottom of this, and would appreciate your help.

I am using this as simply as I can: RX100 in the Nauticam, UWL100 Achromat Type 2 with Dome screwed straight into the M67 thread on the housing as far in as it will go. Here's how much vignetting I get at 28mm:

pic1.jpg

This shot was taken in the sink, but the amount of vignetting on land is identical.

Just out of interest, I made a measurement with the housing, lens (with dome and hood) resting on the table like this:

pic3.jpg

Measured from the table top to the top of the plastic housing latch block, it's just under 18cm. See this pic:

pic2.jpg

Note that my ruler is a 30cm ruler right at the very base, so it's 18cm from the bottom to the point marked as 12cm in this pic.

I would appreciate it if you could run a similar measurement for comparison sake. :)

Other pics which may be of use:

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Thanks for any assistance!!!

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 03:23 AM ----------

Ah Interceptor, thanks, that explains it. I'm happy zooming into 35mm. I lose F1.8, but I probably will be shooting mostly with smaller openings, so no biggie I guess. The sharpness really is outstanding.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 03:24 AM ----------

And actually mine is not second hand! It's brand spanking new!!! :(

I was completely aware of the difference between the UWL-H100 and UWL-100, but bought the UWL-100 for these reasons:

1) Some folks have said optical quality of the 35mm one is better than the 28mm one
2) I read the 35mm one does not vignette on the Nauticam RX100 setup (though evidently that only applies without the dome!)
3) The 35mm was a little cheaper

Unfortunately in Malaysia, where I am, consumer laws are such that "sending it back" is not an option. I just gotta get used to it!! But as said, even at 35mm is still pretty wide, so no worries I guess.

I think the old UWL-100 is a fine lens however to be honest the small amount of fringing the new UWL-H100 can be eliminated completely in post processing for stills
There is only one think that sucks on those lenses and it is the mount
With the RX100 poor close ups performance I could not bear unscrewing such a heavy lens in water so the new lens with the bayonet is better
Another option is the old UWL-100 28AD that does not vignette with the fix adapter or even better the UFL165AD that value for money and practicality beats them all once you adapt the fix adapter for it
That lens has no fringing and just some flare issue in specific scenes

I have the H100 & Dome II for my Rx100/Nauticam housing. I don't like to take it off under water either. It's a bit heavy and putting it back on is not always easy as I don't want to cross-thread the mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom