S/S Clip Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NamTinker

Reaction score
Not DIY, but outside main stream equipment...
The stainless steel clips used by lobster fisherman to position items on a line makes for an excellent equipment clip.
It attaches easily with one hand, in one position only and there is nothing to break - since the complete mechanism is one piece and visible.
Also, nothing can get clipped to it accidently.
At an equivalent price of around CDN$1, a bargain!
I actually found I could attach loose items more easily than with a snap link.

NamTinker:
Not DIY, but outside main stream equipment...
The stainless steel clips used by lobster fisherman to position items on a line makes for an excellent equipment clip.
It attaches easily with one hand, in one position only and there is nothing to break - since the complete mechanism is one piece and visible.
Also, nothing can get clipped to it accidently.
At an equivalent price of around CDN$1, a bargain!
I actually found I could attach loose items more easily than with a snap link.

Neat. Closest thing we've got down here are trotline clips. They're SS and cheap but a little too small to be handled well with gloved hands.

WD

Anything I've got attached to me I want to stay attached... which means something like that is a complete non starter. I don't want to lose a piece of life support gear by bumping against something and depressing the jaws... only to watch my backup light, SMB or spool drift off into the abyss...

There's nothing wrong with ss bolt snaps if you invest the time into learning how to use them. It's all muscle memory - kind of like learning how to drive a stick. Once you get the hang of it, there's nothing to it.

Boogie711:
I don't want to lose a piece of life support gear by bumping against something and depressing the jaws...
Well Boogie... a little work on your buoyancy control and some situational awareness will go a long way toward keeping that from happening. :D

BTW... those jaws don't depress all that easy... but I still prefer boltsnaps for sure.

Back
Top Bottom