?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportsmom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning! I'll hopefully be getting my certification in about a month or so. Hubby and son (16 years old) already have theirs. We are looking for dive sites that are sort of close as we also have a 3 year old and do not want to leave her for too long of time. Hubby is interested in diving Lake Lanier. What info can you guys share with us? Thanks! By the way, does anyone know how to get rid of the pussycat doll underneath my name? I had an avatar I didn't choose and finally figured how to get rid of it!

Hi Sherry

I'm fairly recently certified too (November) and have been diving a lot around here. Now have Nitrox, Rescue, and Master w/in the next 30 days. Lanier is an OK place to dive IMHO. Not much to see, but its an opportunity to get wet! In one of the coves there are a bunch of lines and platforms etc that divers have laid out over time. Lanier will be divable for another couple of months I hear, until the visability gets too low from algae. You should check out lakediver.com for some other pay and free sites. I just got back from Keowee yesterday which is ok. Jocassee is supposed to be ok too, plus there are a bunch of quarries.

Sherry,
The pussycat doll under your user ID will probably be gone in the next day or so. I read in other thread that the changed avatars and headings were an April fools joke.

Regarding Lake Lanier. If you are local to this area then it is a good place to work on your skills and become comfortable in low visibility diving. It is cold this time of year but is beginning to warm up. The water temperatures today were 48 degrees down at 60' but alot warmer around the 20' level. The visibility will vary from 1-2 feet to 25' feet or so, but is typically around 5-10'. The best diving is in the winter months, less boat traffic and the viz is better. During the summer you have to get a dive in fairly early to avoid the boats.

Lake Jocassee - This is mountain lake up in SC, about a 2.5 hour drive from Atlanta. I prefer diving in this lake more than Lanier. Water temperatures are about the same but there is less boat traffic. You can shore dive from a boat ramp or take a boat across the lake to the wall. If you do a search for Jocasses you can find a lot more info.

Hope this info helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom