s600/Mk25 regulator.. which octopus to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shazam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've decided to buy a regulator and want to get the Scubapro s600 stage 1 with Mk25 stage 2.
There's lots of info and threads about this model but I'd like to clarify a couple of things:

1. I can get the standard S600 model for US$587 or the gold anniversary edition for US$625 at a shop in Hong Kong. I believe the guts are the same but does anyone think it's worth paying the extra for the anniversary edition? Maybe I'd get a better price on resale but not really an issue if I plan to keep it for ~10 years. I also think the gold color looks a bit gay compared to the silver/chrome in the standard model.

2. What octopus should I get for this setup? The guy said the R095 model would be fine. It looked pretty cheap and crap but I guess the octopus isn't very important and no use wasting money on something better quality?

I plan on getting into tech diving this year if it makes any difference to my choice of octopus.
I hope this is in the right section otherwise I'll post it in Basic Scuba Discussions

Thanks for any tips
happywave.gif

I think you have it a little backwards. The MK25 is the first stage & the S600 is the second stage. The anniversary edition is the same inside, as the regular regulator, just prettier. If you want to pay for a fancier body, go for it, If you plan to ever sell the regulator, you will likely be lucky to get 1/2 of what you paid for it,... that's just the nature of used equipment.

As for your octo,... let me ask, how were you taught to donate to an out of air diver? If you were taught to donate the the octo,... then go for the cheaper,... but keep in mind, that if it happens, you are giving a lesser regulator to a possibly panicked diver. I personally have a second S600 for an octo, that way regardless of what I donate (primary regulator in my case), I still have the same type of breathing regulator. If you are considering Tech diving, then another S600, may help you with your configuration as you now have a second S600. In tech diving, most dive either doubles with 2 separate 1st & 2nd stages or with an H or Y valve with 2 separate 1st & 2nd stages. With the second S600, all's you would have to have is a second MK25 for your second set of regs for the tech diving.

I have the same S600/MK25 set up and use a second MK25 for my Alt-Air. On all of my regulator configurations I use two of the same second stages. Currently I have the S600/MK25s in a long hose/short hose configuration. I routinely switch regs during my personal dives...if for no other reason to keep the skill sharp.

I train/instruct with the common reg w/oct configuration (Atomic B2s).

I am on the same page s tstormer in post #2. All my secondarys in use are s600's . The one used as an octo i detune as needed to control free flow till needed. If you can et the anaversary for 650 , look at what you can get for the regular mk25 and s600. It sounds like you can et them for perhaps 300. One reg =one servicing kit to fit all.

The c200 octo works well, and is not expensive. I'd go that route for single tank, recreational diving.

If it's for tec I'd get another s600.

I'd get an S600 for an S600/MK25 even if I never planned on tech diving.

Last edited:
I think you have it a little backwards. The MK25 is the first stage & the S600 is the second stage. The anniversary edition is the same inside, as the regular regulator, just prettier. If you want to pay for a fancier body, go for it, If you plan to ever sell the regulator, you will likely be lucky to get 1/2 of what you paid for it,... that's just the nature of used equipment.

As for your octo,... let me ask, how were you taught to donate to an out of air diver? If you were taught to donate the the octo,... then go for the cheaper,... but keep in mind, that if it happens, you are giving a lesser regulator to a possibly panicked diver. I personally have a second S600 for an octo, that way regardless of what I donate (primary regulator in my case), I still have the same type of breathing regulator. If you are considering Tech diving, then another S600, may help you with your configuration as you now have a second S600. In tech diving, most dive either doubles with 2 separate 1st & 2nd stages or with an H or Y valve with 2 separate 1st & 2nd stages. With the second S600, all's you would have to have is a second MK25 for your second set of regs for the tech diving.

Hi Tammy, yes I got the stage 1 & 2 the wrong way. You make some good points so I'll splurge and get 1 x Mk25 and 2 x s600's, one for the octopus. It'll make things easier when I get into tech diving and only need to get another Mk25 for the setup. My instructor also uses 4 x s600's for tech.

Thanks everyone, it sounds like using the same second stages is the way to go plus only one service kit. After the 35% discount, the stage 2 s600 standard model is US$303. So 1 x Mk25 and 2 x s600 = US$894. Plus US$38 for a 100cm yellow octopus hose. Ooh I'm now up to US$932. Does anyone think that's a good deal.. sounds like a lot of $$ or is it normal to spend this amount?

Also is it worth paying extra for Miflex hoses or are the standard rubber ones ok?

Good choice of regs.
I have the same... but if you're planning to pay a bit extra I would go for EITHER the groovy looking Tech version in Tech Diver Black, and ALWAYS wear your mask on your head back to front between dives AND make sure the rest of your kit is in black. You don't want to be laughed at for having yellow fins like me.
OR the titanium version (drool)

For alternate I would just get a good basic 2nd stage reg... unless you are planning to get black rubber fins and do 4 hour deco stops.

Last edited:
Hi Tammy, yes I got the stage 1 & 2 the wrong way. You make some good points so I'll splurge and get 1 x Mk25 and 2 x s600's, one for the octopus. It'll make things easier when I get into tech diving and only need to get another Mk25 for the setup. My instructor also uses 4 x s600's for tech.

In my entire kit, I have 9 MK25's & 12 S600's. I have 2 Recreational set- ups (1 set with 2 S600's), a doubles set- up's, (2 reg sets with Apeks 1st stages), a side mount set- up (2 regs), a rebreather bail- out set up (2 regs) & 3 stage bottle set- ups.

Thanks everyone, it sounds like using the same second stages is the way to go plus only one service kit. After the 35% discount, the stage 2 s600 standard model is US$303. So 1 x Mk25 and 2 x s600 = US$894. Plus US$38 for a 100cm yellow octopus hose. Ooh I'm now up to US$932. Does anyone think that's a good deal.. sounds like a lot of $$ or is it normal to spend this amount?

From what I can see, that price seems about average.

Also is it worth paying extra for Miflex hoses or are the standard rubber ones ok?

I use Miflex hoses on my recreational equipment, but not on the technical. I find, especially with the long hose routing, that the braiding on the Miflex tends to rub my neck raw. Since I do not run a long hose configuration on my recreational regulators & it does not wrap around me, I can use the Miflex that way, as it is more comfortable. Use what you like,... you are the one who has to dive it.

Good choice of regs.
I have the same... but if you're planning to pay a bit extra I would go for EITHER the groovy looking Tech version in Tech Diver Black, and ALWAYS wear your mask on your head back to front between dives AND make sure the rest of your kit is in black. You don't want to be laughed at for having yellow fins like me.
OR the titanium version (drool)

For alternate I would just get a good basic 2nd stage reg... unless you are planning to get black rubber fins and do 4 hour deco stops.

Ha I saw guys on my last trip with masks on their heads backwards on the way to the dive site. These guys were also wearing Jetfins and I want to be like them one day. Yeah the black and titanium s600 models look great but I don't think there's much difference functionality wise. Simon, what are you using as an alternate for your s600?

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 09:36 AM ----------

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 09:37 AM ----------

In my entire kit, I have 9 MK25's & 12 S600's. I have 2 Recreational set- ups (1 set with 2 S600's), a doubles set- up's, (2 reg sets with Apeks 1st stages), a side mount set- up (2 regs), a rebreather bail- out set up (2 regs) & 3 stage bottle set- ups.

Whoa you must be loaded or really love diving
icosm14.gif

I use Miflex hoses on my recreational equipment, but not on the technical. I find, especially with the long hose routing, that the braiding on the Miflex tends to rub my neck raw. Since I do not run a long hose configuration on my recreational regulators & it does not wrap around me, I can use the Miflex that way, as it is more comfortable. Use what you like,... you are the one who has to dive it.

Thanks, I'll try the Miflex to see if it causes much rubbing. When divers speak about long hoses, are they referring to the octopus hose or is this purely tech diving talk? Is the "long hose" for tech diving much longer than an octopus hose?

PS: your fb link in your sig isn't working.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom