S90 versus G11...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking into the G11 but am also impressed by the S90....In fact the Ikelite housing for the S90 looks much superior to the large boxy G11 Ikelite housings. How do the 2 cameras compare? I currently shoot with an Olympus C5000z and have always used the camera on full manual and the Inon d180 strobe on auto (setting it to the f stop I select {which is generally about 2 stops below ambient})...

So do both of these cameras allow full manual...? Do both offer video...? I love the FIX housing for the s90 but would find the dollars a little hard to come by.

I have the G11 and not the S90. From what I have heard, both cameras have the same sensor. I understand that the S90 camera has a lower minimum aperture on it lens. I have also heard that the G11 allows much closer focus in MACRO. That closer focus is not a big deal for topside shooting, but it is important underwater. The G11 has full manual and video. I would think that the S90 has both also. I have the Ike housing for the G11 and like it quite a bit.

However, an Ike housing for the S90 is quite a bit less expensive than the G11 and the S90 does not cost as much as the G11 either.

The G11 is the camera that Canon uses as a compact camera that DSLR owners would use when they can't take their DSLR. So, the line is set to a more sophisticated clientele.

I have the S90, and it has full manual, and video. I can confirm that the S90 macro doesn't allow you to get closer than approx. 2 - 3 inches.

It's compact, and the lense is very fast. The speed difference (I've read that the G11 is a tad slower) might not be an issue, if you're waiting on your strobe to recharge.

The S90 does not have a hot shoe while the G11 does.

Overall, I'm reading that folks are happy with both cameras. I know I'm digging my S90.

The S90 when combined with the FIX90 housing is THE high end P&S system at this time. The rotary control rings are operated by knobs on the FIX housing that allow operation of the camera with direct and immediate access to shutter and aperture.

My second choice, especially if macro was my main interest, would be the G11 with FIX and my third choice, a distant third would be the Oly ELP-1 with Zen dome (a distant third due to maximum DFOV of only 100 degrees) and my forth the S&S DX-2G.

I am biased heavily to extreme wide angle photography and natural light, strobe enhanced wide angle photography and underwater "still life" and the S90 with FIX90 housing is the best current choice IMO because:

Direct control via knobs of shutter and aperture

Faster f2.0 28mm native lens (F2.0 is a full stop faster than f2.8, what does that mean you ask?--it means the lens can gather twice the light photons in a given shutter opening speed, practical example with S90 at f2.0 and shutter at 1/500 the G11 would have to use f2.8 and shutter 1/250 second.)

Compact, small size

Rugged, durable

Adaptable via several adapters and port mounts to use any wet lens, wide angle, ultra-wide angle, macro lens available with good results

Wet lenses can be removed installed underwater to change perspective.

N

Just got my S90 + Ikelite + AF35 and love it so far. Very simple and easy to use underwater. (Nikon D300 user on land, used to DSLR world). Tested it out in the local high school pool this week, was happy with shots but agree that macro focus could be better. Of course, I want to photograph whale sharks and dolphins.... not tiny fish. :)

Wow - a lot of food for thought here. Thanks Nemrod - exactly what I needed to hear. I too love the flexibility of wet lens add ons and really relish wide angle reef landscapes - particularly in areas such as Siladen in North Sulawesi where the coral walls were brilliant. The Fix housing is definitely top end and might be worth saving up for....The expanded macro range of the G11 though is also a factor, but I would think that is cancelled out by the Fix housings suitability for macro wet lens.

Funny how I started out with Olympus digital camera and housing combinations about 6 years back when Oly was clearly the leader - with various combinations available - but now they've dropped the ball and clearly Canon offer much greater range.

I recently got the S90, Ikelite housing and single F35 strobe. I chose the S90 because it is very compact, has the same sensor as the G11 and good light sensitivity (f2) when shooting wide. The Ikelite housing will accept a wide angle lens and allows use of the front control dial. My setup fits easily inside a Pelican 1500 case which is carry-on size for travelling. The S90 will double as my travel camera, meaning I can leave my DSLR and lenses at home.

The Patima G11 housing allow a wide choice of wet lenses and is THE choice for G11 owners (like me). Do a search about the Patima G11 Housing or my posts and you will fina a lot of interesting information about the G11 / Patima housing and it's lenses.

I prefer the G11 as it's beefier and fits my hand ways better as the "microscopic" S90.

Chris

Wow - a lot of food for thought here. Thanks Nemrod - exactly what I needed to hear. I too love the flexibility of wet lens add ons and really relish wide angle reef landscapes - particularly in areas such as Siladen in North Sulawesi where the coral walls were brilliant. The Fix housing is definitely top end and might be worth saving up for....The expanded macro range of the G11 though is also a factor, but I would think that is cancelled out by the Fix housings suitability for macro wet lens.

Funny how I started out with Olympus digital camera and housing combinations about 6 years back when Oly was clearly the leader - with various combinations available - but now they've dropped the ball and clearly Canon offer much greater range.

Actually not sure the macro is that much different... I have a G10 (same macro as the G11) and the S90. If you are using strobes there is an issue with how close to the camera you can actually get and light up an image. If you want super macro, neither are very good.

If you shoot wide angle, that F2 is a major plus for the S90. I find both are easy to use underwater, but the smaller case of the S90 does not scare fish as much.

I think right now, for underwater use, the S90 is the king of the P&S cameras... well until someone makes a case for the new Pany LS5 (sort of an S90 with high def video and 24 mm wide angle).. but suspect that an S something or other will follow shortly.

One more difference that may be important for some people which is the battery life.

Although both cameras are very close in specs, the battery life varies very much. On a new battery my S90 will last for 3 dives if fully charged., while G11 which has a big bulky battery will last for a week of normal photos then 3-6 dives afterwards (according to my friend who have the G11)

I had to purchase a spare battery to prevent going into flat batteries and no more photos for the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom