Saba The unspoiled Queen of the caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaman40

Registered
Reaction score
Saba the truly only palce on earth that was born for divers. No sand to ruin the viz, no beachs, just clear indigo blue water with some of the most amazing sites. Pinnacles, drop offs to valleys to shallow reefs. This quaint place is a step back in time. A tropical rain forest with a 1029 steps to the top, a dead volcano and unbelievable diving.

Check out these sites for Diving in Saba and an overal look on the island and the dive sites. Saba is Kong Island in the 1933 film with fay rae. Well, thats all for now on my favorite place in the world! Safe Diving to all!

stevep aka scubaman40

I posted this report on another board some time ago, but since it relates I'm posting the Saba part again here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But now for the best part ..... SABA. This is diving of the highest order. I'm sure it can compete with any diving on the world. Saba is a small volcanically formed island (about 5 miles in diameter) with 1,000' walls dropping straight into the ocean. Peaks on the island reach 3,000'
with rain forest everywhere. I am describing this to assist in visualizing that this same terrain exists underwater around the island. A typical dive site has a mooring buoy located on a pinnacle at 85' to 100' beneath the surface. Visibility is usually over 100', so the pinnacle is immediately visible when you enter the water. From there, the dive may be over the pinnacle top, if broad enough, and becomes a reef dive. Or, it may be swimming through blue water to another pinnacle top or wall several hundred feet away.

One site called 3rd Encounter has three mooring buoys within about 500' of each other. I truly believe one could spend a week diving this site and never repeat the same dive! By way of example, the Eye Of The Needle is a dive which begins by dropping to a pinnacle at 95', then swimming due west through blue water with 200' below and 100' above for about 100 yards. Suddenly you realize a structure is appearing in the distance out of the blue haze. It looks sort of like a pillar. As you approach, the brilliant colors of the coral start appearing and you realize this is a formation about 40' in diameter which begins about 100' below (you can see the bottom) and extends about 40' above you to within 60' of the surface. You drop to 130' or so, and begin a wall dive slowly ascending as you circle the formation like a barber pole. Small fish surround the coral everywhere, caterpillar-like creatures crawl the surface, all the coral is totally alive and brilliantly colored, several black-tip sharks cruise in the distance, and larger fish like jacks and yellow tails are suspended like ornaments everywhere. I just wished I could hang in one spot forever and watch the show before me. If this ain't diving, I don't know what is!

There are two dive operations on the island. I used Saba Deep.....the other is Sea Saba. Sea Saba uses 38' boats, and seems to cater more to groups. I heard they require at least 6 divers to go. Looked like a top notch operation.

Saba deep uses smaller 32' boats, and will go with ONE diver. I indicated I'd like a night dive the day we arrived. They called at 4:30 pm and said the dive was on at 6:00 pm. I arrived at the dock to find only Big Mike at the boat, and he said "Let's go man. I love night dives." We went to a site called Man-O-War, tied up to the mooring buoy, donned our gear and went down together for my first look at the magnificent Saba reefs. Another diver I met wanted a second night dive before leaving, but had to entertain his girlfriend for dinner. Big Mike had him show up the next morning at 5:00 am for the "night dive", then he went with a group at 9:00 am and 11:00 am before leaving the island in the afternoon.

Saba Deep's boats only take 7 divers max on any dive, and ask for suggestions from the group about what sites to dive. I have never received the personal attention, assistance with gear, drying and storage of gear at the shop, and concern for customer satisfaction that Saba Deep provided. Saba Deep has been owned and operated by Mike Myers for 18 years (the reason for calling the other Mike "Big Mike").

What can I say? I'm truly a believer in Saba diving and can't wait to return.

Anyone who wants more information can Check this link out here!

DSAO

Greetings,

What are the possibilities of one moving there to start a business ie... restaurant, motel? I know Saba is governed
by the Dutch, and is very small. I am looking for a safe, affordable locale to start something up. Belize, Roatan are out of the running. I need to take a trip first of course.
I will of course do my homework, just wanted some good, hopefully unbiased,opinions.

By the way, I wonder why Saba has kept a low profile in the tourist industry. Many travel agents have never heard of this little island!:)

Any good feedback would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Pam

If you visit Saba, you'll have the answer to all your questions in about one day. Maybe a few observations will help for now.

Saba is not easy destination. You go to St. Maarten and take a shuttle airline (WinAir) to a very small stip at sea level, or a boat ferry they lovingly call the "vomit comet".
The marina and air strip are the only sea level land on the island.

The road (there's only one) starts at the airport and goes straight uphill about 1800' to Windward Side. The part that continues from there down to The Bottom on the other side of the island where the marina is was only completed about 20 years ago and was deemed by the Dutch to be impossible to build. Only residents dare try to drive on the island - there are no car rentals. A taxi ride is more thrilling than any ride at Busch Gardens!

About half of the residents have one of about five last names that are the same...generations and generations have lived on Saba...and those same names are in the cemetary. The locals love tourists to visit, but I'm not sure what it would take to ever be accepted if you moved permanently. Many of the small shop owners (a shop is frequently the front of their house) are very old people. They sell local specialties, like Saba lace and Saba Spice (a rum-based liquor) and I'm sure a high volume day is anything over $100 in sales.

There are no beaches...only one small black sand strip that is quite unaccessible and disappears at most high tides. A large restaurant probably doesn't seat 25 people.

Construction costs are very high. Everything must come by boat and then be hauled up steep roads that are difficult for cars. There is almost no construction equipment as we think of it. The smallest job is a really big project.

I believe foreigners can own property, but it's difficult to wade through the process with the Dutch government.

It's possible that the kind of venture you are contemplating could work out just great. However, I would make an "exploratory visit" for a couple of weeks and do some really serious homework.

scubaman40:
Saba the truly only palce on earth that was born for divers. No sand to ruin the viz, no beachs, just clear indigo blue water with some of the most amazing sites. Pinnacles, drop offs to valleys to shallow reefs. This quaint place is a step back in time. A tropical rain forest with a 1029 steps to the top, a dead volcano and unbelievable diving.

Check out these sites for Diving in Saba and an overal look on the island and the dive sites. Saba is Kong Island in the 1933 film with fay rae. Well, thats all for now on my favorite place in the world! Safe Diving to all!

stevep aka scubaman40

Perhaps...if you really enjoy rocking violently on a moored boat between dives, or don't mind being without water for a couple of days if --or when-- the cistern for your cabin runs out. And if you have lots of money. We stayed and dove and hiked in Dominica for seven days and in Saba for five. All three of us found Domenica with its 365 rivers, lush rainforests and resilient Creole and Carib culture by far the more interesting place.

We also had a rather mixed diving experience with Sea Saba, and generally preferred the friendliness, knowledgable *local* divemasters and superb diving in Dominica's Soufriere/Scott's Head area, where the three of us stayed for a week and completed a total of over thirty dives for about the same cost as our shorter stay and fewer dives in Saba. Saba's pinnacles may be unique and underwater life plentiful, but the little marina and boat launch is also awkward to use and ugly. I'm sure that many have had and will have great diving and travelling experiences in Saba. Ours wasn't.

erichK

erichK

Saba has been one of the most unique dive experiences we've had in the Atlantic.The pinnicles are breathtaking dives. I'll never forget "The Cathedral"-not for everyone-on a Sunday morning, it was a deep dive that started at the top of a pinicle at about 100 ft-then you descend to about 185 to a cavern entrance in the pinnicle,start to swim through it -and on your way-about 1/2 way-a shaft of light from above fills a the cavern as it suddenlly becomes a larger room-then you continue to wind through the cavern to the exit at about 175 ft-then slowly circle the pinnicle upwards-fish,sharks,great corals and 140-160ft viz-we liked it so much we did it Tuesday, Thursday, and the following Sunday. And you gotta hike the mountain-just dont dive too deep the day or two before hand or you can get bent. A beautiful,lush,Island.....Peace...Saildiver.

My husband and I are headed to Saba and Statia for 4 nights each for our delayed honeymoon...we leave 6 weeks from Friday, and I am so excited that I can't think of anything else. Added Statia in for the wrecks, and my husband is a big fan, and the island itself looked lovely. we're staying at the Orchid cottage on Saba and diving with Sea Saba (will let you know if they take out the boat with only a few divers - we're booked for 3 dives daily, and we want to do a night dive for one thrid dive!). Statia is the Old Gin House and Golden Rock Divers.

thanks for the links - can't wait to check them out!

vetdiver:
My husband and I are headed to Saba and Statia for 4 nights each for our delayed honeymoon...we leave 6 weeks from Friday, and I am so excited that I can't think of anything else. Added Statia in for the wrecks, and my husband is a big fan, and the island itself looked lovely. we're staying at the Orchid cottage on Saba and diving with Sea Saba (will let you know if they take out the boat with only a few divers - we're booked for 3 dives daily, and we want to do a night dive for one thrid dive!). Statia is the Old Gin House and Golden Rock Divers.

thanks for the links - can't wait to check them out!

You will love Saba. We stayed at the Orchid Cottage at Juliana's too, that's the best one. You will love it. It is private, quiet and roomy. The shower is a giggle. I dove with Sea Saba and they are good. Yes, they will take boat out with only a few divers. YOu will really like this place. Oh, if you guys can, take a cab ride up to Willards for a drink, or dinner, but make sure you do it in enough time to see the sunset. It is truly breath taking. You can see Statia from Willards. Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom