Saba to St. Maarten by plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have gone back to reread what I could about flying from Saba back to St. Maarten after diving but wanted to know if there is any update on the perils or safety associated with it. All literature I saw was older and with no definitive answer as a change in any number of variables can alter what would be the ideal conditions for a safe flight.

Basically the airline that flies to and from Saba states that the altitude will be no more than 2500 ft.

What do you think or what have you experienced? I am planning on getting to Saba in a couple of months while we are staying in St. Maarten.

Also appreciate any knowledgeable responses to the ocean conditions for the ferry (the alternative) over to Saba - the time would be the first couple of weeks in October - still HURRICANE SEASON!

We did a liveaboard dive trip to Saba in October some years ago. We departed from St. Martin, dived around St. Kitts and did a shore excursion, and then spent the rest of the time diving around Saba and we had a shore excursion there as well. When the boat was ready to head back to St. Martin, we got off and spent a few days on Saba and then flew back to St. Martin. It was a great trip!

We had good weather during our trip but I got very seasick during the crossing from St. Martin, I got over it after a day without a recurrence but it was pretty bad.

The flight back to St. Martin in a twin otter was short and exhilarating, the plane races toward the sea and then lifts off. But it actually still had a lot of runway left when we left the ground. I much preferred the flight home over the boat crossing, it was a short flight and easy and fun!

The DeHavilland Twin Otters have big engines and are built for short take offs and landings. I think that it is quite safe.

Last edited:
While not specifically geared to this particular flight, there have been many threads about the risks involved in flying after diving. As a two career pilot (military and commercial), I have posted my thoughts in those threads on the risks from a pilot's perspective, and I urge you to read them. The problems that can occur in an aircraft, especially over water, make any airline's assurances that the aircraft will not exceed 2500 a ridiculous and idiotic statement. In the event of an inflight emergency, the Captain is going to decide what to do with the aircraft to maximize the likelihood of a safe landing, and I can assure you that your particular issues with possibly getting bent are not going to be in the Captain's decision matrix. You are going to have zero input as to what altitude the Captain will climb to, how fast the ascent rate might be, and how long the aircraft may be at high altitude. There is a true aviation saying that one of the most useless things in an inflight emergency is sky above you, The Captain is not going to put the crew, passengers, and aircraft in additional jeopardy to accommodate a group of divers that made a personal, unwise choice about how soon to fly after diving. All flights are easy, in ideal conditions, and go according to plan--until they aren't.

True, when we left Saba we had not been diving for 3 days so it was not an issue of concern.

Is your question about flying about the safety of flying in general from Saba or diving and flying same day from Saba?

While not specifically geared to this particular flight, there have been many threads about the risks involved in flying after diving. As a two career pilot (military and commercial), I have posted my thoughts in those threads on the risks from a pilot's perspective, and I urge you to read them. The problems that can occur in an aircraft, especially over water, make any airline's assurances that the aircraft will not exceed 2500 a ridiculous and idiotic statement. In the event of an inflight emergency, the Captain is going to decide what to do with the aircraft to maximize the likelihood of a safe landing, and I can assure you that your particular issues with possibly getting bent are not going to be in the Captain's decision matrix. You are going to have zero input as to what altitude the Captain will climb to, how fast the ascent rate might be, and how long the aircraft may be at high altitude. There is a true aviation saying that one of the most useless things in an inflight emergency is sky above you, The Captain is not going to put the crew, passengers, and aircraft in additional jeopardy to accommodate a group of divers that made a personal, unwise choice about how soon to fly after diving. All flights are easy, in ideal conditions, and go according to plan--until they aren't.

Thanks for the input. Your comments are right to the point of any number of variables can change the flight plan. As with everything else regarding diving, SAFETY FIRST, it seems the best course is to just ferry over and not worry about unforeseen risks one has no control over.

Is your question about flying about the safety of flying in general from Saba or diving and flying same day from Saba?

Same day. Would love to fly it for the experience that I've read about, but it would be tied into diving same day.

So on the same day dive and fly, you received the advice that I would give. Don't push it and don't risk it. I don't know your plans but you may want to consider spending a night on Saba or doing Saba as part of another trip. From what I have read on SB, Saba is worth staying overnight and experiencing the island. Being able to dive and hike the hills sounds like a nice combo. Its on the list!

...Same day. Would love to fly it for the experience that I've read about, but it would be tied into diving same day.

I think that the landing would be even more thrilling than the take-off, why don't you fly over to Saba, dive, and take the ferry back to St. Martin? Or will you have already been diving around St. Martin before going to Saba?

For what it's worth, I flew into Saba from St Maarten, did a two tank dive on air and flew back in the afternoon. I didn't get bent nor did I have any ill effects. The problem with this is that there are far too many variables to predict how your body might respond. However I believe that there is a chamber in St Maarten so if you do get bent at least you've got a place to go. YMMV.

For what it's worth, I flew into Saba from St Maarten, did a two tank dive on air and flew back in the afternoon. I didn't get bent nor did I have any ill effects. The problem with this is that there are far too many variables to predict how your body might respond. However I believe that there is a chamber in St Maarten so if you do get bent at least you've got a place to go. YMMV.

FWIW, that sounds like a comment someone might make that did not blow his head off when the hammer struck an empty chamber while playing Russian Roulette. "Hey, that went well!"

Back
Top Bottom