Saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I posted about this already but am not seeing it. Looking for recommendations for lodging and diving.

Have communicated with Director of Tourism, Glenn, and he suggested Cottage Club and SeaSaba.

That would put us in Windwardside. Nothing booked yet, is this worth doing?

We went in January and stayed at Hummingbird Villa because we had two couples (and most everything else was booked!) and I highly recommend it as a vacation rental if you have the people to fill it. However, Cottage Club is in a great location. We were a little farther out from "downtown" which we didn't mind, but being closer with walking distance to everything would have been nice. We also picked up people with the dive van everyday at Juliana's, which was recommended to us by a friend, but too booked up by the time we started looking for us to stay there. They have cottage rentals at Juliana's as well as hotel rooms. Wherever you stay - go to Bizzy B bakery every chance you can. They had some of the most delicious baked goods I have ever had. I miss the apple turnovers already.

We dove with Sea Saba, which is the biggest op on the island, and overall had a very good experience. We had a difficult time with customer service from some of the shop employees the first few days (not Lynn - when we were able to talk with her a few days in we received a ton of help) so we really didn't know how to get dinner reservations, how to plan other excursions, how to find the trail heads, etc. The girls we tried to get help from were dismissive and seemed annoyed that we were even asking. Later in the week, Lynn really turned that experience around. And, since our main reason to go there was to dive, the negative early experience with the dive shop workers was far, far outweighed by how fantastic the crews on the boats were the entire week. I don't even think I can pick a favorite because they were all so great. Also - make sure you do a night dive!

I've seen more on SB from people who have made the trip from St. Maarten for the day so you might try gleaning some info from those threads. I plan to go later this year when we are in St. Maarten for a couple of weeks.

That would put us in Windwardside. Nothing booked yet, is this worth doing?

SeaSaba has been recommended to me if doing the day trip, but Saba DIvers is also there and has an office in Windwardside as does SeaSaba. From my research (and not knowing what would make your trip "worth doing") there is not a lot of topside activity other than some sightseeing (not sure how long it would keep someone busy), hiking, and taking in the landscape. Diving seems to be a main reason for going. I think I would like it. Many people who have replied to my questions on SB have said skip diving in St. M and go to Saba, but you can find others who had a better experience the other way around. If it is strictly a dive trip, there are a lot of dive sites (30+) around the island, most being on the west coast.

IMO, if I had a place to stay and knew there was diving available (especially on a quiet Caribbean island I'd not been before) I would find it worth doing no matter what anyone else had to say about it.

I just realized I didn't answer the "is it worth it?" question. I think it is, but it depends on what you like on vacation. The island is incredibly beautiful and I thought the people were great. There aren't very many restaurants and the food at them isn't amazing, but it's relatively good food and we aren't big restaurant people on vacation so we didn't really care. I would definitely recommend staying in Windwardside, but we spent a day in The Bottom and really liked it. I don't think I would stay in The Bottom next time - the day trip was enough for us. We didn't do any stop over in St. Maarten and I'm glad we didn't. I would have felt like I missed out on time on Saba.

There is an abundance of hiking and diving. The hiking is gorgeous and can be difficult, but we thought it was worth it. We had one dud dive that I guess is typically a really great dive for seeing sharks, but otherwise saw a ton of reef sharks, dozens of turtles (we saw around 20 just on one dive alone), the biggest lobsters I've ever seen, an octopus on both night dives and one at 100' during a day dive, nurse sharks, nudis, lettuce slugs all over the place, juvenile spotted drum (eek! I was so excited!), and tons of the other fish you're used to seeing in the Caribbean. The reef is just incredibly healthy and full of life. We did 15 dives during our 7 day/8 night stay and it still didn't feel like enough for me. We won't be back in the near future because we have a number of other places we want to see, but I would definitely go back to Saba to dive again.

Thanks all, just my wife and I and we're both in our 60's, not looking to party or stay up late. The trails on Saba sound interesting in part because I'm also a plant guy. I love diving but my wife gave it up years ago so need to spend time with her. It sounds like a great place for us.

I think you'd both enjoy it. The only night life we engaged in was going down to Saba Snack or Long Haul for a drink or two and to play some cards (BYO deck of cards). Your wife could also ask to go out on the boat and read a book top-side if she likes being out on the water still. We had a few non-diving family members with us who just stayed on the boat or tried to snorkel (it's not very good for snorkeling). They also do afternoon 1-tank dives if you don't want to invest the time for a two-tank dive. The hiking has an abundance of plant life and I would recommend setting up a guided hike. We didn't get a guide, but we read quite a few reviews that the guides point out interesting plant life and give a history on how it has been used on the island. The stay for us was a very relaxed pace even though we fit in a lot of activity through diving and hiking.

Thanks all, just my wife and I and we're both in our 60's, not looking to party or stay up late. The trails on Saba sound interesting in part because I'm also a plant guy. I love diving but my wife gave it up years ago so need to spend time with her. It sounds like a great place for us.

If you're a "plant guy," you'll love Saba. The island boasts five distinct ecologic zones, from the arid slopes on the windward side of the island, complete with native cactus, to the cloud forest leading up to Mt. Scenery, the highest point in the kingdom of the Netherlands, with huge tree ferns and orchids. The Windwardside area is where most folks stay, but the high end is represented by Queen's Gardens hotel in the Bottom and there are also some high-end villas in that area as well. That said, most of the restaurants are in Windwardside and it is more central for reaching many of the hiking trails.

And I'll also recommend highly Sea Saba. They have one of the best-run dive operations I have ever seen, and the fact that many of their crew have been there for several years speaks volumes about how they treat their people.

Definitely worth diving if you're going to be there. We did a LOB (CEX2) and spent half the week diving Saba. Lots of critters -- octopuses, seahorses, nudis, basket stars, etc. - as well as all the usual suspects. I agree with the night dive suggestion. There was definitely some current in places and that can sometimes be an issue because the island is pretty exposed the the waves break around it. I think it's more of an issue when the wind is up. We just had an afternoon on the island and it made me wish for more time. We did a mini-hike down part of Mt. Scenery and that was really cool. I could easily spend a week just hiking around the island. Seems like a quiet place, so go for that and not the nightlife or fine dining! Probably need to plan out hiking and diving such that altitude doesn't pose enhanced DCS risk. Have a great trip!

I got certified on Saba in 1984, and have about 25 trips there since then. It remains my favorite place to dive in the world - easily accessible from North America, pristine reefs, unique underwater topography. I dive exclusively with Sea Saba. Of the ~30 dive ops with which I've dived, they are peerless - they essentially invented the concept of "concierge diving" (at least, they're the first place I heard it from). They will arrange accommodations, nightly restaurant reservations, any specifics relating to diving itself, changes in travel plans. Most of their divemasters are there for years on end, and are experts not just in safety and on the reefs, but on the marine biology thereof. And speaking of the latter: Sea Saba was instrumental in establishing and continuing to foster the Saba Conservation Foundation and the Saba National Marine Park. If you dive with Sea Saba, you can actually learn about the pretty things you're seeing underwater.

As referenced above, Saba is quiet - not as quiet as it was in 1984, when there were all of two places to stay and maybe three restaurants on the entire island, but quiet nonetheless. There are no large hotels, only guesthouses, no nightlife, just some decent bars and restaurants. You go to Saba for diving, hiking the many nature trails, reading, and relaxing. Perfect R&R.

Accommodations: I've stayed at Juliana's and at Cottage Club. The latter has all its rooms in two story cottages, which are quite nice and contemporary, with some nice views. Juliana's has both some smaller and less-modern rooms, as well as some larger cottages, with kitchens and even outdoor showers; it's also a bit less isolated, because it's small bar and restaurant is a destination. They're both about equidistant from the center of Windwardside (well, Cottage Club is about five minutes further). I definitely suggest staying at one or the other, or perhaps renting a private cottage in Windwardside - there are more dining options within walking distance than in other parts of the island, as well as two well-stocked supermarkets.

On the diving itself, Saba has several things that make it unique in the area. Its reefs are not typical fringing reefs, but grow largely on volcanic rocks that were tossed into the water by early volcanic activity (some of which remains - there are some dive sites where you can stick your hand into warm black sulfurous sand!). There are several underwater pinnacles - more accurately, sea mounts that top off at 90-110', which are quite spectacular, and great for spotting pelagics, as well as bulbous resident groupers. All the sites are close to the dock - no more than a 10-15 minute boat ride, sometimes only 5 minutes away. The reefs are healthy, sea life diverse and abundant. The reefs on the windwardside of the island (which are often unreachable because of the seas) are wilder, with large fields of elkhorn coral and dramatic lighting from the sun bouncing off lava fields. Night dives can be spectacular - festivals of feeding nurse sharks, slipper lobsters, octopus, and cruising tarpon. Wild!

But Saba diving isn't for everybody. There's no shore diving, as there is in Bonaire and Cozumel; all the dives are scheduled. You can't roll out of bed onto the reef - a van is going to pick you up at a predetermined time for the trip from Windwardside to Fort Bay.

One final thought: Don't even think of diving on St. Maarten or anywhere else in the vicinity. There's nothing nearby that compares with Saba..

You can see some of my Saba photos here. Actually, these are from all over, but most of the blenny shots (and various others) are from Saba: Underwater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom