Sabang or White Beach? If we just want a very lazy diving holidays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We will have 5-night-stay holidays next month in PG and don't plan to do many diving (my buddy just got some health issues about his ear).
But we can do some snorkel if something to see near to the beach.

This is our first time to this area.
We don't want to cancel this holiday for my buddy's ear problem.

We already booked a hotel in Sabang.

Should we just go to stay in Sabang or change to White Beach?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

I have never been to White Beach. I was in PG in July last year and I would not consider snorkeling off the beach in Sabang. You could walk around the point to La Laguna or one more point over to Little Laguna. A lot of boat traffic. I think Little Laguna has sectioned off swim area if I remember correctly. Enjoy your trip!

You will not enjoy snorkeling along Sabang Beach. Lots of boat traffic, shallow water, sea grass, bare rock. Small Lalaguna is not much of an improvement, but at least far fewer boats. Don't know about Big Lalaguna, though I've been past it many times, or White Beach either, but cannot believe they would be worse. By the way, it's Big Lalaguna that has a large fenced off area in the water. Never saw anything like that at Small Lalaguna. I've never even seen White Beach, so I'm clueless about it.

If your priority is snorkeling and such, you may want to stay elsewhere. If you're looking for nightlife, it will be along Sabang Beach. White Beach is, so I read, is more family oriented and popular with Filipio tourists. Everywhere else is pretty much dead after the sun sets, maybe even before it sets.

1. Big LaLaguna has a small patch of area for snorkelling. As someone had mentioned there is a cordoned area for swimming ONLY. And the very small beach is clean enough to lie down. Couple of cheap places to eat as well.
2. As far as I can remember White Beach is NOT really suitable for snorkelling and swimming. It drops off pretty abruptly and also exposed to current.
3. Both places can offer alternative top-side activities(day time). A round of golf on the mountain!

Only been to white beach once, at night. Was pretty nice. Lot of local tourists. I liked it. I would never go to sabang if not for diving. Nightlife is just hookers and bars that close too early.

I'll throw out another option. Next to White Beach just around the point is Aninuan beach. there are two very nice resorts there. It is very quite and peaceful. The beaches are good for swimming and kayaks. Might be worth a check out. I have brought my family there, (they had always gone to White Beach), and they loved it.

White Beach is much quieter than Sabang! Sabang is more for the party crowd, as mentioned by Sonar, (not all the ladies are ladies!). Little LaLaguna is a short walk from Sabang, and Big LaLaguna is a bit further down, (if you walk it, you will need to climb over a small hill, stairs not really great!).
From noisiest to quiet, Sabang, Little LaLaguna, Big LaLaguna, White Beach.
You'll have a great time!

I'll throw out another option. Next to White Beach just around the point is Aninuan beach. there are two very nice resorts there. It is very quite and peaceful. The beaches are good for swimming and kayaks. Might be worth a check out. I have brought my family there, (they had always gone to White Beach), and they loved it.

I agree Aninuan beach is nice. Its just a short walk uphill from White beach so you can go walk there in the afternoon. i stayed at the Sunset at Aninuan Beach a few years ago. They were in the process of adding a new wing and a swimming pool. Right in front of the hotel is a small house reef, nice for snorkeling. When i was there they have a dive center attached to the hotel. It was (maybe still is) part of AB Wonderdive in Little Laguna so you can work out diving there. The beach is nice, clean and peaceful. White beach is lined with hotels, retaurants, much busier.

i agree with Blue Steal, unless you want night life (aka girlie bars) Aninuan is a good bet. I have stayed with my family and kids at white beach for several years. theres a good DO there (Pacific Divers) that has daily dives, mosty Eurpeoan divers and a very good operation. Althouggh a little farther away by banka from the big name sites the ride is only 15-20 minutes... Agree also white beach has no snorkeling opportunities

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom