Safe Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood:

What BT do you use with seconds on it??

I've not seen a UWATEC with seconds.

Harry

My Uwatec Tec2g has resettable seconds, though I don't know if the stopwatch function is available unless you are in gauge mode.

How fast do you ascend and what are the variables? How do you monitor your ascent rate?

I'm not saying that this is the best way to do things but this is what I do:

1) on a no-deco dive I ascend to 1/2 of my maximum depth and start counting Fibonacci (rounded to the nearest 3 metres) at that point. For example, if I'm making a dive to 36 metres then my first "stop" is at 18 metres for 1 min. Then I work with 18, 15, 12, 9, 6 and count stops like 1,1,2,3,5. After the 5 minute stop I'm clear to ascend. If I reach a "stop" depth earlier than my clock does then I wait at that depth for my clock to catch up before starting with timing my stop.

For deco dives the strategy depends to a much greater extent on the profile so I won't go into that here.

My "target" ascent rate is 10 metres per min. If I don't achieve that then I sort it out by waiting longer at a deep stop if necessary or by adding the extra ascent time to my bottom time if I ascended too slowly.

R..

Yowzers. I'll do quasi-fibonacci sometimes, but not for NDL dives.

Interesting, all the deep analysis and deco theory that is coming out. I've been diving for approx. 25 years, max. depth of 135 fsw, use a 30 fpm ascent rate with / or without safety stop and I have never been bent, or had any symptoms of DCS.

Why do ascent rates have to be so complicated? :shakehead:

It's recreation for Christ sakes!

Interesting, all the deep analysis and deco theory that is coming out. I've been diving for approx. 25 years, max. depth of 135 fsw, use a 30 fpm ascent rate with / or without safety stop and I have never been bent, or had any symptoms of DCS.

Why do ascent rates have to be so complicated? :shakehead:

It's recreation for Christ sakes!

What does recreation have to do with whether something is complicated or not?

I agree fibonacci is complicating things terminology wise!

Yowzers. I'll do quasi-fibonacci sometimes, but not for NDL dives.

It's not as bad as it sounds. We usually ascend over the bottom so it's like riding the computer but with the brain engaged. It's not that complicated.

R..

It's not as bad as it sounds. We usually ascend over the bottom so it's like riding the computer but with the brain engaged. It's not that complicated.

R..

I'm not saying it's complicated. I'm saying it's overkill.

But yah, if you have something to look at, go for it!

Back
Top Bottom