Safe exercise whilst pregnant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostinspace

Reaction score
hahahahaha - assuming I ever become pregnant........

......... how did you ladies that have been mums maintain your fitness during pregnancy, so that you didnt turn into big huge unfit whales by the end of your pregnancy?

At the moment I swim & cycle regularly, and do weights to maintain my muscular strength.

What is your experience?

Is there a change in regime/routine I should adopt now when I am not pregnant so that I can maintain it safely when (not if!) I become pregnant?

lostinspace:
At the moment I swim & cycle regularly, and do weights to maintain my muscular strength.

Having never been pregnant I can only offer suggestions from friends experiences.

My understanding is that for the most part, if you're doing it now you can do it when you're pregnant. Swimming especially. I have a friend who swam nearly everyday for her whole pregnancy. One of the things she loved was it gave her back a break to be in the water.

I love how much forethough you are putting into this, good for you!

You can and probably should ask your doctor about this. As far as I know you can continue to do most sports until the belly starts to get in the way..... My wife jogs and she continued to jog through most of her pregnancies. She even ran a marathon while pregnant with our first child (she didn't know she was pregant at the time but found out a couple of weeks after the marathon).

I would think that swimming is something you can probably do until the last minute.

NOTE: I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.

R..

Hi, I am new so I'll take a guess that you are trying to fall or planning to fall pregannat sometime soon. I am in the same boat. Its exciting isn't it.

I have taken up Yoga and Pilates as I have a pretty weak lower back which is something that pains me when diving as well, but the Yoga and the Pilates have really helped, and they can be adapted for every stage of pregnancy and beyond. We had a lady come back to yoga class 6 weeks after she gave birth, (not a c-section though).

If you don't want to attend a class you cna buy Dvd's or video's to do at home.

Anyway hope this helps you..

It's been a while since I was pregnant (I now have grandchildren) but when I was I was very active and kept being active and doing the same workouts while pregnant. It kept me in shape and feeling good about myself and I was back to my pre-pregnant weight each time (3 times) in 6-8 weeks after delivery. With my last child I actually worked out harder when I was pregnant than before (I had been slacking off a little). I even joined in a pregnant exercise class which really helped my back. Good Luck,

When I was pregnant I lived in an apartment community on the third floor. I would go up and down those stairs constantly and cursed them every single time... but thanks to them and the community pool I used 3 times a week till the day before I gave birth I only gained 25 pounds. It was a good thing too because I have a pretty small frame (5'3" 115 lbs.) and three surgeries on my legs. If I would have gained just one more pound I would have had to been wheel chaired around. he he he :)

Back
Top Bottom