Safe way to "De-smell-ify" a Dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceCube

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last weekend I went diving, and the air temp was about 98 with a heat index of about 105. Surface temps where around 91-92 degs F. For undergarments, I downgraded to a thin sweat shirt and sweat pants so I wouldn't over heat too much. At depth, the temps drop to the 60s so things were feeling pretty nice underwater.

Before my dives I would start sweating like a pig, soaking my shirt and pants. Now the inside of my dry suit smells like ass. I did rinse it out with water and it helped a bit, but I can still smell the stink. Is there a safe way to get the stink out without ruining the suit? I was thinking of putting some dryer sheets inside when stored. I have a Bare Nex-gen pro suit which is a laminate suit. Any ideas?

I also made the mistake of drying out my undergarments inside the car. :shakehead: Not a good idea.

I have used a light msting of a weak bleach mixture with good results. Of course I was cleaning a vulcanized rubber suit, but it was linned with nylon and had gotten wet and smelly. Rinsing and drying a dry suit inside out also usually works pretty good.

sink the stink, or mirazyme, every few months I thoroughly rinse the inside of my suit. Or febreeze just give it a misting.

I soak mine in Sink the Stink every so often as well. No ill effects, and it's stink free.

On a side note, I do not like the scent of Sink the Stink, but it's sure a lot better than body odor funk!

Front loader, inside out, a scoop of baking soda

You can try a couple onces of simply green in your bath tub soke for 15 to 20 min. rinse and dry out . You can buy it at any homr depot in a gallon jug for about $20.00 you can use i on your wet suites allso It kills the bactiria that couses the stink. it has not hert any of my gear . M y lds recamended it to me . good luk hope this was helpful

KEN

If you can invert the suit or have some other way to dry it quickly, a few drops of bleach in a bucket of water, fill the suit for a minute or two, then dump and dry. You can rinse if you think the bleach could harm parts of the suit. Proven boot stank killer.

Back
Top Bottom