Safety Spool Instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For caves/caverns use #24 and wrecks usually us #36.
Haven't seen luminescent line myself.

Jason

Jason B:
For caves/caverns use #24 and wrecks usually us #36.
Haven't seen luminescent line myself.

Jason

Thanks. Would a #24 or #36 be better for finger spools (e.g. for shooting bags)?

As far as the luminescent, would this be considered DIR?

DiveGolfSki:
As far as the luminescent, would this be considered DIR?

Before we get too far, can you point to an example of luminescent line? Not fluorescent, but luminescent?

jonnythan:

Huh. Doesn't win (phosphorescent, not luminescent) but fairly cool.

I'm going to order a few feet to play with; could be handly for zipper pulls and the like. (At 3mm, seems a little heavy for spool line; at $0.30/foot a little pricey as well.)

lairdb:
Huh. Doesn't win (phosphorescent, not luminescent) but fairly cool.

I'm going to order a few feet to play with; could be handly for zipper pulls and the like. (At 3mm, seems a little heavy for spool line; at $0.30/foot a little pricey as well.)
It emits light on its own, therefore it is luminescent. [edit: well that's not quite right, luminescence requires application of heat.. but that's kinda dumb for cave line dontcha think? :eyebrow:]

However, it is luminescent by emitting light through exposure to and removal of incident radiation. Therefore it is also phosphorescent. [yeah yeah, i'm wrong, i know :wink:]

It's glow in the dark cord.

Sounds like a good idea to me..

jonnythan:
It emits light on its own, therefore it is luminescent.

However, it is luminescent by emitting light through exposure to and removal of incident radiation. Therefore it is also phosphorescent.

Depends on your reference, but conventionally, no. Typically, and as I meant it, "luminescensce" is used to exclude fluorescence and phosphorescence, leaving all of the autoluminescent flavors, e.g. bio-luminescence, radioluminescence, crystalloluminescence, electroluminescence, etc.

C.f. Columbia University Encyclopedia: "If the luminescence is caused by absorption of some form of radiant energy, such as ultraviolet radiation or X rays (or by some other form of energy, such as mechanical pressure), and ceases as soon as (or very shortly after) the radiation causing it ceases, then it is known as fluorescence. If the luminescence continues after the radiation causing it has stopped, then it is known as phosphorescence. The term phosphorescence is often incorrectly considered synonymous with luminescence."

Your interpretation subsumes phosphorescence within luminescence, which is precise, but not particularly useful.

jonnythan:
It's glow in the dark cord.

Sounds like a good idea to me..

Now, on that we can agree. (Though I still don't think I can fit much on my spool.)

lairdb:
Now, on that we can agree. (Though I still don't think I can fit much on my spool.)

Luminescensce, fluorescence, phosphorescence, autoluminescent, bio-luminescence, radioluminescence, crystalloluminescence, electroluminescence, Whatever! ... in essence :wink: it's glow in the dark.

Thanks Jonnythan for the link. I guess no one's made anything along #24 or #36 and for cheaper? Hmmm, sounds like a new business proposition.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom