Question Anything wrong with attaching spool to DSMB using a bolt snap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett down under

Registered
Reaction score
As the title suggests, is there anything ‘wrong’ with attaching a spool to a dsmb using a bolt snap?

For context, appreciate the easiest method is keeping the attach prior to the dive. My wetsuit pockets aren’t deep / necessitate low profile so considered keeping spool on butt ring and dsmb in pocket.

Rather than faff about threading loop from spool onto dsmb, I was considering having a small eye bolt snap permanently on spool end and using it to clip onto dsmb. I just don’t see this often and wondered if there was a perceived or real issue with this method? The little extra weight of the extra bolt snap would only be a good thing / insignificant.

What method do you use to inflate the DSMB?

Mine is always attached- I don’t like to waste time fiddling with joining two separates. I blow with my mouth. The only unclipping I do is for the Boltsnap that secures it to the backside D-ring of the BP/W which goes to my right shoulder D-ring temporarily until I want to lock the reel…

Why not loop the spool through the DSMB and attach both with a single double ender?
As it keep both together and outside of my pocket attached to the bp&w? I could.

Or are you suggesting loop spool and dsmb underwater? I’m trying to avoid having to loop underwater with thick gloves. Obviously doable, just trying to make life easy.

Excuse this naff drawings… this is what I had in mind. Yes it requires an extra bolt snap, but saves threading loops in gloves under water and means they can be kept separate. Double ender can be retained for winder and to clip off as needed.

Issues with this approach? Is it common for the bolt snap to become unattached from DSMB loop? Just seems like an easier way to connect if you want to store the two pieces of equipment separate.

In storage:
IMG_1577.jpeg
In use:
IMG_1577.jpeg

Excuse this naff drawings… this is what I had in mind. Yes it requires an extra bolt snap, but saves threading loops in gloves under water and means they can be kept separate. Double ender can be retained for winder and to clip off as needed.

Issues with this approach? Is it common for the bolt snap to become unattached from DSMB loop? Just seems like an easier way to connect if you want to store the two pieces of equipment separate.

In storage:
View attachment 809375
In use:
View attachment 809374
Tie a loop at the end of the line. Attach the loop to the end of the spool. Take up the slack and clip the double-ender back to the spool's line.

Basically this:

Then secure your double ender like this:

The bolt snap "could" come off of the SMB if it's choppy and there was no weight hanging on it. If it's tied on with a loop, that can't happen.

Tie a loop at the end of the line. Attach the loop to the end of the spool. Take up the slack and clip the double-ender back to the spool's line.

Basically this:

Then secure your double ender like this:

Yep this is exactly what I do now. But not what I want to do given it’s bulky to store them both together in my small pocket, would prefer to keep the separate and then bring them together for use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom