Question DSMB + Spool Bolted to Backplate hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditziano

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,
I’m playing around with my first backplate and harness, and came to the following set up for DSMB and Spool (direct bolt snap to the backplate)
I know it has been discussed, that the twisting can open the bolt snap by accident.
Nonetheless, I do not see that risk in this set up (bolt snap fits quite snug and does not seem able to turn and twist “on itself”)

I find it very easy to find the corner of the back plate and bolting and unbolting the double ender.

Any additional remarks/concerns you might see (apart from the, in my opinion, minimal Christmas tree dangling).

I attached a couple of pictures on how I set up the whole story (tip of the cable tie is only there to loop it easier through the hole)
Thanks!
Daniel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 72
When you're flat in the water, the spool will tend to drop down. In your third pic, you show it dangling as you're standing up. If you lie down on the ground it would dangle down and move to your front.

As it is, the bolt snap could undo. If you turn the boltsnap around with the gate facing backwards (pic 3 it's facing frontwards) it would then be less likely to undo.

The other place to stash a SMB+spool is in a drysuit pocket where it can't escape! Maybe not possible in a wetsuit though.

Thanks Wibble for your recommendation.
Will definitely try and practice bolting the DSMB with the gate facing "outwards".

1712243939003.png

These are super-handy for making attachments to your backplate.

View attachment 835011

Thanks for that!
Will evaluate Comfort vs. additional dangling (more space/distance between double ender and plate).

Thanks for that!
Will evaluate Comfort vs. additional dangling of having a +ring on the backplate.
My hip D-rings get the most use during a dive, but for something I use perhaps just once or maybe not at all, having it higher and back farther and out of the way is nice.

Sliding D-rings, such as these, are great for your waist belt. For holding the SMB, you slide this far back and clip on. I like them as the bungee holds the D-ring down and slightly out from the webbing.
1712262603810.png

Available on eBay et al.

View attachment 835011

I 2nd the recommendation by @tursiops . I also have this single ring bolted to my backplate for SMB's. When you are trying to be efficient and quick, my bolted ring is rock solid and so easy to attach and detach SMB's. The biggest benefit is that it doesn't wiggle or move.

View attachment 835011

I 2nd the recommendation by @tursiops . I also have this single ring bolted to my backplate for SMB's. When you are trying to be efficient and quick, my bolted ring is rock solid and so easy to attach and detach SMB's. The biggest benefit is that it doesn't wiggle or move.

Do you have a picture of it in use? Trying to decide if it's what I think it is (the picture in the ad is bad).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom