Safety stop deco bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you had a rig for this, it would be easy enough to turn up the IP a couple PSI to compensate.

The correct way to do that is to know the IP over bottom pressure you need, calc the pressure at the depth you need and use an adjustable regulator like welders use on the gas cylinders used to supply welding gas. Just turning up the IP on a first stage will probably work, but it is not to correct use of equipment and could eaisly fail.

The correct way to do that is to know the IP over bottom pressure you need, calc the pressure at the depth you need and use an adjustable regulator like welders use on the gas cylinders used to supply welding gas. Just turning up the IP on a first stage will probably work, but it is not to correct use of equipment and could eaisly fail.

Well yeah, maybe I should have been more verbose. I didn't mean just randomly turn it up a bit, I meant calculate the IP appropriate for the depth of the hanging reg.

I've only seen it once, in Hawaii a couple years ago on a 6-pack. The operator was very thorough about the dive plan and what psi he expected to see on the safety stop and back on board. No one used the hang tank, but it was nice to see it there.

My standard procedure is to hang a long hose off of the bow of my boat with a tee and two regulators attached at a depth of 20 feet. The other end is attached to a welding regulator on a cylinder of oxygen. That said, divers in open water should never rely on gas supplied from the surface or hung on anchor or mooring lines. There is always the possibility (sometimes probability) of the line breaking.

My standard procedure is to hang a long hose off of the bow of my boat with a tee and two regulators attached at a depth of 20 feet. The other end is attached to a welding regulator on a cylinder of oxygen. That said, divers in open water should never rely on gas supplied from the surface or hung on anchor or mooring lines. There is always the possibility (sometimes probability) of the line breaking.

A Captain who knows how to setup and run a charter boat! Well said.

To the OP, you don't have a "deco" bottle or a "decompression stop". You have a tank staged for emergency use or for a safety stop.

MD

^^

Semantics

Doctor jokes aside, it doesn't strike me as arrogant. Strikes me as confident. Big difference, however subtle it may be.

Confident is definitely the appropriate qualification for her response. I plan the same way and feel the same way - I certainly feel confident knowing that both my buddy and I EACH has enough gas for both should WE need it.

My confidence is also piggy-backed with frustration that gas management isn't required material for basic scuba instruction, and gratitude to Grateful Diver for writing and making his gas management article so available.

I feel this information is so important, it's worth posting again: NWGratefulDiver.com

Well thank you all for the responses. I plan all my dives with strict gas management in mind. I stay within my set limits and don't stray from them any bit. I monitor my rate of use and compare it to each dive, so I can become more aware of my differences in usage with depth and water temp. My reason for asking this question, was my son had watched the padi open water video, and in chapter 2 I believe it was, they show a bottle being hung at the 15 foot safety stop. Since I never have seen one used or heard anyone talk about them, I thought I would ask people about it. What I have read here really impresses me. Almost every response said no need if you Plan your dive, dive your plan and manage your gas use. I see many responsible divers who indeed share a non reckless attitude towards diving. It makes it that much easier to accept the opinions from people like you who not only give good educated or sound advice, but also continue to contribute to those still learning.

Kudo's

Rob

P.S. TSandM... I didn't find your post offensive at all...sometime a get to the point or direct answer is the best, just like most DOC'S give.....

Last edited:
8thElementDiver:
No offense intended, but that seems like a rather arrogant attitude, especially coming from an ER doc!

I cannot see how the doc's link was in any way arrogant? Everything in Bob's article was solid information concerning gas management. I am in no way trying to be an ass in this reply, but I would be interested in where you find her citing this link seemingly arrogant.

I dove on a boat in Pensacola that had a hose with 2 regs at 15-20 feet. After the captain gave the dive briefing mentioning that the regs were for emergency use only don't rely on them etc.....
A guy on the boat asks if they are air the captain said yes they are regular air his response was he would use his 28% (or whatever) nitrox. Ummm he was not listening....

No one used it that I seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom