Safety stop when losing buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The RDP says you can - but who would?

My computer uses 60fpm ascent rate if I am deeper than 60', at 60' changes to 30 fpm. For a lost buddy I would exceed 30 fpm, but not 60 fpm, as most are not due to an emergency situation on the part of the buddy. I would, and have, exceeded 60 fpm during an emergency, if it were necessary.

I am not saying that anyone else should, and would not criticize someone for not violating their training and limits. As I have been known to do some stupid s**t, I do not require it of others.

Bob

...In an area with boat traffic, you’re not going to ascend without an smb right?

In a virtual overhead, I wouldn't ascend at all if I didn't have to. Some areas are worse than others. One time while doing the Lillie long drift in the St Lawrence river, which is a very timed and depth specific dive, (not to be confused with the regular Lillie drift), my 2 friends were descending way too slowly when we should have been getting down to at least 80 feet to avoid back eddies, down currents, and upcurrents. We were still at 50 feet and in a slight back eddy working too hard and I signalled both of them thumb down rapidly to descend fast. Right after, I saw both of them go flying up and backwards while my buddy and I went deeper and drifted fast. They learned instantly why we had specific target depths and times. My buddy and I held onto boulders and I signalled "Now what?" We felt that they were pushed behind us and they would follow the wall down, so we signalled to hold and waited for an endless minute. We were not supposed to surface since it's a shipping channel. Just as we were about to give up, they came flying along and we continued the dive together.

In this case, while the dive plan was not followed at mid-point leading to issues, both buddy pairs were clear that we were not to surface in the shipping channel unless necessary. We were lucky to have met back up not much further in a drift dive, otherwise we would have had to continue. If I had been separated from my buddy, while following the wall and depth plan, we would naturally drift into a shallow bay where the dive boat was waiting for us, otherwise I would put up my SMB for my buddy and the boat.

Otherwise if separated in a non-virtual overhead/drift dive, I would search for a minute and begin an ascent while searching. I would decide how much of a safety stop if any I would do based on the depth I was at and length of the dive, how experienced and self-sufficient the buddy is, and whether I think they might be in trouble. I would be cognizant of not becoming a second victim. If I did a safety stop, I would put up my SMB for my buddy and boat so they know where I am and then look for both on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom