Sailing Back in Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladephotog

Contributor
Reaction score
Being the lucky person that I am, I got a chance to sail on the US Brig Niagara as it headed to Toledo for a fund raiser. The original Niagara was used by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry to defeat the British in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. It was moving to be sailing on this ship over the very battleground.

We took a ferry from Port Clinton to Put-in-Bay, Lake Erie, where we were met by two sailors from the ship who took us on a small cutter to the Niagara, anchored a mile away near Middle Bass Island.

From there we sailed towards Toledo and anchored for the night west of West Sister Island, where we "enjoy" a rather powerful thunderstorm overnight. We then sailed up the Maumee River to the Port of Toledo.

For someone who loves to dive old shipwrecks this was an incredible two day trip. I'm used to seeing capstans and tillers underwater so it was cool to see how they actually use them.

I put up a slideshow and some links on my website. If you're interested in Tall Ships check it out.

Cool pictures and journey. I really like the moon shots with the silhouetted ship.

I am soooo jealous!!!! But thanks for sharing your wonderful photographs. Puts my scrapbook pages of the Niagara during Detroit's 200th to shame.

The anchor line the crew is pulling is so thick and taut that it looks like a tree limb.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom