Info Saint Helena - South Atlantic - teaser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex B.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

id like to share some fast moving pictures from my last trip to the South Atlantic, to an island named Saint Helena. Saint Helena is mainly known as the last exil of Napoleon Bonaparte. The marine environment supports a diverse aray of marine life. Nearly 780 marine species have so far been recorded from St. Helena, at least 50 are endemic. Its also known as whaleshark hotspot, especially the whalesharks themselves
:D
Above the water line you can find step cliffs, surreal red and darkgrey desert landscapes, highlands covered with flax and fern trees and fortresses built into the cliffs should protect against freeing Napoleon. A longer version will go public the next days.

Enjoy!

I have long been fascinated by islands of the South Atlantic--St. Helena, Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia Island ... so remote. Beautiful.

Wow, that's an amazing trip! How did you get into St Helena? Are there any fun Napoleon themed attractions to see topside?
you have to fly over Johannesburg and get an Airlink flight to Saint Helena. You can visit Longwood, the house where Napoleon lived to most time, its a museum now. Theres also the grave where he was buried for a few years. He was exhumed and brougth to Paris. The place where he stayed the first night as he arrived is a hotel now.

I have long been fascinated by islands of the South Atlantic--St. Helena, Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia Island ... so remote. Beautiful.
Interesting! Tristan still looks like a volcano on the Nasa website!

The best way is the flight otherwise it is cruise ships. There are a couple of dive outfits on the island that alternate for whale shark watching - peak season is around Jan/Feb. The diving otherwise is spectacular even in the main harbour you just swim out.

Napoleon stuff - house, museum, old grave. it makes a nice day to split the Napoleon stuff with water days. One of my all time fave places highly recommend.
Wow, that's an amazing trip! How did you get into St Helena? Are there any fun Napoleon themed attractions to see topside?

Back
Top Bottom