Salmon Season starts this Saturday.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenN

Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case some of you non fisherpersons aren't aware of it, the boat ramps in Northern California are going to be packed with fisherman going out for the first Salmon Season in a few years.
If past experience rings true just about every place to launch a boat in or near the Pacific Ocean is going to be a madhouse.
It might be a good day to plan a shore dive instead.

Given the forecast, it might be a good day to do something other than dive.
I'm going to do my taxes.

Or bring a chair and some adult beverages and watch the launch ramp follies. The best action will probably be an hour or so before first light.

.SAT...W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 10 TO 12 FT.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SUN...SW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. NW SWELL 9 TO
11 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.

Chuck

Good idea Chuck! Watching the ramp follies are always fun.

Watching them launch (while rather amusing) pales in comparison to watching them try and load their boats back on the trailer with the sideways breakwater surge after hydrating themselves all day with beer. The real show start about 2:00pm and runs until dark.

Someone should put up a web cam for the launch ramp so every one can enjoy the show.

They need bleachers. There are launch ramps in the Delta with bleachers and on a crowded windy day you can watch the beginning of many a divorce. Does the boat departing the marina have right away? Not when it is not given...five times in a row! Rules are only there to ignore.

Unfortunately the chances are we are going to read about some tragedy on the water this weekend.

If you want to see great sport at the launch ramp try having lunch at Fish in Sausalito during fleet week when the Blue Angels are flying.
It probably pales in comparison to watching the boats come in on opening day but it is entertaining all the same.

Unfortunately the chances are we are going to read about some tragedy on the water this weekend.
Even more unfortunately I was WRONG! It only took an hour of ab season being open before a rescue occurred. Ab diver rescued by Coast Guard helicopter.

Fleet Week antics sound great, but I have watched the four weekend a year families try really hard to put their boats back on the trailer at the end of the day of drinking out in the Delta and that definitely sets the bar. Scary high actually.

Short story. After spending an hour at Orwood waiting for my trailer to hit the water we had been laughing, worrying, cringing, and dang near ready to break up a few fights. When my trailer finally hits the water I am already lining up my Nauty to the trailer. As soon as it is in deep enough the boat slides gently onto the trailer and with a little throttle settles into place. A quick thumbs up and my truck driver eases us out of the water. Trailer was in the water less than 20 seconds. A guy holding his stand up Jet Ski against the dock, since around the time we rolled in, yells out loud, "NOW THAT IS HOW IT'S DONE!" A fast crew that knows what they are doing can launch and recover in a less than a minute. Even solo they should be able to do it in less than two minutes, even if a strap is needed. They need to have a boat launch and recovery officer to render assistance for the inept. Well not really or we wouldn't have anything to laugh at.

That article is crazy. Ab divers that can't recognize and get out of a rip current. 4 year olds standing in the surf zone... :facepalm

Yep opening day can be crazy,,but looks like it wont be as bad as chucks prediction..unless they head out for tuna!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom