salvaging my Uk blue tang dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
No....big knives are useless and get in the way.

I realize this is the DIRzone but I beg to differ.

A big knife will do everything, and more, that a small knife will do. A 7" knife is
not overly large or cumbersome ... 7" blade is different. You guys
and your "cute little knives" :crafty: need to imagine a world of rope ... not string.
A buddy of mine deployed his toy knife once and had a helluva time resheathing
the d***ed thing.

You know, I have done a dive or two in New England myself, GM :wink:

For one thing, *rope* doesn't usually cause entanglements...or at least not entanglements that can't be worked out of without the need for cutting.

And a pair of EMT scissors will cut through a fricken penny, so does short work of any rope you are liable to get entangled in. The knife will cut the small stuff pretty well, too if it is sharp, which it should be.

IMO Scissors are more important than the knife in open ocean diving. That big ol' knife is just an PITA and most cannot have convoluted locking mechanisms that make it difficult to pull with one hand.

Green_Manelishi:
I realize this is the DIRzone but I beg to differ.

A big knife will do everything, and more, that a small knife will do. A 7" knife is
not overly large or cumbersome ... 7" blade is different. You guys
and your "cute little knives" :crafty: need to imagine a world of rope ... not string.
A buddy of mine deployed his toy knife once and had a helluva time resheathing
the d***ed thing.

Soggy:
You know, I have done a dive or two in New England myself, GM :wink:

I know. Just teasing ...

Soggy:
For one thing, *rope* doesn't usually cause entanglements...or at least not entanglements that can't be worked out of without the need for cutting.

Depends on the quantity of rope and the visibility.

Soggy:
And a pair of EMT scissors will cut through a fricken penny, so does short work of any rope you are liable to get entangled in. The knife will cut the small stuff pretty well, too if it is sharp, which it should be.

IMO Scissors are more important than the knife in open ocean diving. That big ol' knife is just an PITA and most cannot have convoluted locking mechanisms that make it difficult to pull with one hand

Never had to cut a penny :crafty:

My "big ole knife" has never been a PITA but perhaps it's due to some of the other knives I've carried (not in the water) one more than one occasion.

Each to his (or her) own. Whatever knife you carry does need, as you pointed out, to be sharp to be useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom