Salvo 10W HID or 12W LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm about to place an order for a Salvo light. But I'm torn on the LED or HID choice.

I dive the dark murky waters of Lake Travis here in Austin Texas. Its low viz (typically 10 feet) lots of particulates and even a high noon bright daylight dive is a night dive at 90'. My buddy dives a Dive Rite 10W HID and I'm impressed by the tight, blue/white beam.

In looking at some side by side photos, the Salvo 10W HID seems to have a tighter, brighter blue/white hotspot (rated at 6000K). The 12W LED seems to have a broader more uniform beam but its not as blue/white (rated at 5600K).

The LED is more lumens (750) than the HID (500).

Which one is going to throw a brighter, more penetrating beam into the murky soup of Lake Travis??

My feeling is that the HID, even though it is rated at lower lumens, will throw better because its got a tighter hotspot and is more blue/white at 6000K.

Get the HID. And if you like the Dive Rite 10w, you're going to LOVE the Salvo.

I second getting the HID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom