Samarinda or Balikpapan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there over Chinese New Year in January. I must admit that I was only in Samarinda for one day before hearing up river but I was pretty shocked at the filth. On the street my hotel was on, the open sewer drains on both side of the road were clogged to the top with trash. I could not tell from sight but the stagnant water underneath was visable to my nose. There were several piles of rotting rubbish the sive of an SUV, including mostly previously edible stuff. At 4:00 in the evening, rats were clearly visible running up and down the road and were not bothered by the people around. The smell of urine was pretty strong when passing any back lane. I carried an empty water bottle for a half hour while looking for a bin to toss it; in that time, we must have seen 20-30 people just dropping trash where they walked. Sitting on the riverside for a half hour also allowed us to see several people walk over to throw their trash in the river.

Again, I wasn't there for long and didn't see much of the city but I have been to lots of cities that size in Asia and never saw things as bad as that place. Then again, I did like the place. It had style even if it was covered in grime.

I didn't take pictures of the rubbish but here's a guy who was yelling and spitting at passing traffic:
IMG_1100_edited.jpg

The main mosque:
IMG_1091.jpg

...and how can you not love a place that has children this happy?:
IMG_1104.jpg

I have to agree with Zippsy; simply google - samarinda sampah - you'll find so many discussion and complain from local resident how bad they handle rubbish and trash; and how people jealous with balikpapan.
If you can choose between Balikpapan and samarinda - I will recommend Balikpapan - many oil & gas expat living in Balikpapan; you can find 4 or 5 stars accomodation and good restaurant; easy access to other cities and direct flight to Singapore.

You're quite accurate guys...
just found out :
1. seasonal flood
2. seasonal black out (once every week for about 4 hours or longer)

Hi Andy,

I can only comment on the diving area from what I heard.

Never heard any diving in Samarinda before, but Balikpapan is just a distance away from great diving sites, Derawan, Sangkalaki, Kakaban and Maratua. I'll be going in two weeks time, I hope it's as great as what I thought.

Hi Ice

Enjoy your trip and dive safe, looking forward to your trip report.
I won't be going there any time soon...
Turn to Bali on May.....:D

Back
Top Bottom