same or different regs for pony and back gas (mk17 vs poseidon xstream)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikhail Frenkel:
how many of you have the same 1st and 2nd stages for a pony/stage bottle (or a double for that matter) as for back gas (or another double)?
I use different regs on my pony and deco bottles, than on my backgas. For example, for my doubles I use Apeks ATX200s. For my singles rig, I use a Zeagle ZX50. For all deco bottles and pony bottles, I use Apeks AT20s.

So ... we agree.

Pony reg should be quality, should be well-serviced, and should be capable of providing needed function under extreme conditions of failure of primary reg ...

I just wanted that to be explicit and clear on that, I felt your original post may lead someone to just pull something out of the closet and say "that should do it ...". People read these things out of context in searches all the time, wouldn't want a casual comment about using older regs to be read wrong.

Is good? Done?

Poseidon8118:
The Conshelf 14 is still made and is used by the Navy SEALs as well as a number of other military branches. Some of us who have been diving for 25 years or more have 6-10 different regulators to pick from. We rid ourselves of the stuff we don't use and implement our "good old favorites". As for a pony I would pick a regulator whose design is as simple as possible with a proven track record. I really can’t think of any regulator with a better record for this application.

Just because a regulator is old doesn’t mean it’s obsolete. This is not the computer industry…Technology has not changed much in this field in the past thirty years. As long as you have it annually serviced the regulator should perform as well as it did 20 years ago. And as for quality how many regs do you own that are 20 years or older? My Conshelf is from the early 80's…if that’s not quality I don’t know what is…

http://www.aqualung.com/products/conshelf_xiv.html

wcl:
So ... we agree.

Pony reg should be quality, should be well-serviced, and should be capable of providing needed function under extreme conditions of failure of primary reg ...

I just wanted that to be explicit and clear on that, I felt your original post may lead someone to just pull something out of the closet and say "that should do it ...". People read these things out of context in searches all the time, wouldn't want a casual comment about using older regs to be read wrong.

Is good? Done?

Sure, I just took for granted that most people know what a Conshelf 14 is…Now that I look back I should have stated “an old quality regulator like a Conshelf 14”. Yes definitely in agreement about quality new or old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom