San Antonio Dive Shops/Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Texas Divers,
I'll be visiting San Antonio later this month to get a feel for the city and do some preliminary checking out of things in anticipation of hopefully relocating here. Are there any good places to dive in or around San Antonio? How far away would the closest ocean diving spot be? Lastly, how about dive shops in San Antonio? I'd love to check one out while I'm down there. Any info would be appreciated :)

Welcome to Texas Caroln!

Proximity to Diving in San Antonio depends on what part of town you live in. Near by locations are Comal River (New braunsfels), Canyon Lake (just north of New Braunsfels), Aquarina Springs (San Marcus), or Lake Travis (West of Austin). The nearest ocean diving would be to go on Some Rig trips out of Port Aransas or Freeport (about 150 - 200 miles away). You can also go on a live aboard out of Freeport (The Fling or The Spree) and go to the Flower gardens. You can also drive about 5 hours and dive off of South Padre island. They will be sinking the Texas Clipper out there around the end of March. Its a nice reef system in the Gulf. The good news is that you're close to Mexico. During the spring and summer you can fly direct to Cozumel from San Antonio. Its about a 2 1/2 hour flight. A 4 day trip will run you about $800 - $1000 for air, hotel and diving.

As far as dive shops go, there are several around town. The only one I have been to is Dive World on Thousand Oaks Blvd. They seem like nice folks and have a nice shop. I heard a new shop opened on Hwy 281 South, just north of Thousand Oaks. I've not been in town to check it out yet.

Enjoy your stay.

Texas has some of the best worst diving in the coutry. The best of the worst would be Lake Travis in Austin. As far as ocean diving, we've got some off shore reefs (Flower Gardens, Stetson Banks) and oil rigs that are done on a live aboard: http://www.daveread.com/FlowerGardens/

Lots of other mudholes throughout the state that we play in.

caroln:
Hi Texas Divers,
I'll be visiting San Antonio later this month to get a feel for the city and do some preliminary checking out of things in anticipation of hopefully relocating here. Are there any good places to dive in or around San Antonio? How far away would the closest ocean diving spot be? Lastly, how about dive shops in San Antonio? I'd love to check one out while I'm down there. Any info would be appreciated :)

Check out our website http://www.sanantonioscubadivers.com. We have all the local dive shops listed under the "Local Dive Shop" link. The majority of us in our club hang out at either Deep Blue or Duggans. All their addresses, phones numbers, and links can be found there.

Also, follow the link "Our Yahoo! Group" and join our group (even if you only want to join us temporarily). Post your questions there, and you'll get plenty of responses and more than likely someone will offer to join you.

At this time of the year, Comal river is the best. It's spring-fed, so the temp is the same year round (72 degrees) and it's the clear.

The closest ocean dive is South Padre Island (we call it the Texas Caribbean) and it's about a 6 hour drive. You can go do some rig dives with American Diving.

Hope this helps, and hope to see you while you're down here.
Lea Ann

loosebits:
Texas has some of the best worst diving in the coutry.
:rofl3:

PondPuppy:
Check out our website http://www.sanantonioscubadivers.com. We have all the local dive shops listed under the "Local Dive Shop" link. The majority of us in our club hang out at either Deep Blue or Duggans. All their addresses, phones numbers, and links can be found there.

Also, follow the link "Our Yahoo! Group" and join our group (even if you only want to join us temporarily). Post your questions there, and you'll get plenty of responses and more than likely someone will offer to join you.

Thank you for the info, and the invite. I'm really looking forward to visiting. From all the research I've done, San Antonio seems like the perfect place for us to relocate to, but of course we have to make a few visits to get a feel for it in real life and work out things like where we might live, jobs, etc. And of course the important things like where I can dive, and shop for dive gear :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom