San Clemente Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just completed a 90 minute dive on San Clemente Reef. I had my doubts coming down again to Cozumel. No more. Easily one of the best dives I’ve done for years. A bustling nursery with masses of fishes and corals. I was blown away by the health and diversity of the reef. I’ve been diving since 1976 and this ranks up there in my top 100 dives. I have seldom seen such a healthy reef anywhere. And to cap it off, we were visited by a school of dolphins that seemed to be fascinated by us and our bubbles. They stayed with us for at least 3 minutes - then played in our wake when we were back on the boat.

Dived with Palancar Divers - can’t say enough good things about them too.

I’d like to add that Pancho’s Backyard and Kondesa are awesome. I’ll never understand why people do not leave the bubble of an AI and explore the food choices downtown.

Great, we are in Coz now. Will ask to dive San Clemente this morning. Thanks!

I was there right around same time. Was about to get into the water to dive Yucab. Captain offered to drop me with dolphins but there were a couple of boats running right near the dolphins so I passed (didn't want a Cozumel haircut from a propeller)

My first weeklong trip to Cozumel, to keep things simple, we stayed at an AI and only went into town once, but the next year we went back and stayed in town. The food variety and quality was like comparing an elementary school cafeteria to Boston's Faneuil Hall or Montreal's Marché Atwater. Every trip back to the island since then, an AI wouldn't even be considered.

But I can answer your question of why people don't leave the bubble of an AI: convenience. It was pretty convenient to be dropped back off after diving, go get a snack at the pool bar, take a nap, crawl out of bed, walk around, maybe snorkel a bit or swim in the pool, see the evening activity, get dinner, go to bed, wake up and repeat. What I don't understand is what so many people are doing on the island if they aren't there to dive.

I've only ever done one dive on San Clemente. The only thing I wrote in my logbook was that we saw some snails, a nudi, a turtle, and the last 15 minutes of the dive was over sand and really boring. Some dolphins would certainly have livened things up.

Now go do a night dive there. Shallow easy dive but you can almost guarantee to see a few ocotopus and other critters out and about.

I’d like to add that Pancho’s Backyard and Kondesa are awesome. I’ll never understand why people do not leave the bubble of an AI and explore the food choices downtown.
Agreed on San Clemente, Pancho’s and Kondesa. I experienced them all in the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom