San Diego Divers!!! Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregFil

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My question is not about diving, sorry.
I have to move to La jolla in November for 1 year.

Should I look for apartment with AC / heater?
It's really important for me , I am bringing newborn baby with me.
Thank you for your help.

I don't think you'd need either.. especially if you're living by the coast. The winter times don't get too cold ...and the summers there don't get too hot.

If you live where I do (moved inland after college).. you'd want AC in the summer...but, you should be fine in La Jolla where you get coastal breezes! :)

Thank you for your help.
The reason why I asked was that I got few different opinions.
Some people told me it’s pretty hot summers over there and I need AC.
Another told me that summer is Ok but I will need heater at the winter.

You will need a heater in the winter. It can get down to 40 degrees at night. When The Santa Ana winds blow (usually late fall & winter, although they can come anytime), It can get into the 90s in La Jolla, but a few fans can cool you down enough. I've lived there 20+ years without A/C no problem. I think you will have trouble finding anyplace in La Jolla that doesn't have heat, it is the upscale area of San Diego.

yes, for what an apartment in LaJolla costs, they usually provide a heater.

I remember an illegal conversion my brother lived in near Windandsea back in the late 80s. It had a space heater. About all you needed for the 400 square feet. But he was within walking distance of the surf break and stagger distance of Kahunas (boy I miss that place). I don't think either are still there as the whole block went upscale in the early 90s.

I lived in San Diego for several years, I lived near ocean beach. Near Sports Arean on "west point loma blvd". Never neded heater or AC, hovever it did get somewhat humid at times.

Inland areas, such as La Mesa, El Cajon, Alpine, and such get very hot.
If you move to LaJolla, get a 2nd or 3rd story apartment as petty theft is getting pretty bad down there all across san diego county beach communities.

I live in WA state now, I sometimes miss San Diego, however, I dont miss the crowds and hassles.

Thank everybody.
Your information is priceless for me.
Now I get clearer picture what I should look for.

Divers rule!!!!

I live in Point Loma just several miles south of La Jolla. My house faces the ocean up the hill several blocks off the water and I can tell you that you will need heat in the winter. Constant onshore flow between 10am and 4pm in the winter can be brisk, also it is always damp so keep an eye on your leather clothing. A green mold forms fast and furious on closeted clothes.

Almost every apt in LJ has heat so shop well. BTW if you are moving to go to UCSD be prepaired to pay $1.5-2k/ month at the very least for a 2 bed apt. Don't expect much relief in the surrounding communities since most areas are low vacancy. If you are looking for a house then be prepaired to pay $2-3.5k/month for a 2 bed cottage. Moving north will not give much relief in price and the commute even from as near as Del Mar can be just ...unbelievably frustrating.

The upside of LJ is the place is magical to live in. In particular the Wind-n-sea area north to the downtown LJ area. Its called La Jolla (the jewel) for a reason. Word of caution if someone trys to sell you a house on Soledad Mt Rd ...don't ! SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Mount Soledad landslide

Back
Top Bottom