San Diego Shore access on military bases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading to Coronado Island for a medical conference. Staying at North Island. Wondering about any shore access for diving on the local bases?
Would like to avoid the local crowds if there is any on-base diving.
Also, does North Island have a place to get air fills?
We're bring all of our tanks, would like to have convienantly located fills, if possible.

I can't imagine there is anything worth seeing at the bottom of San Diego Bay, especially right off North Island, and there's a lot of boat traffic. I used to know some Navy divers when I lived in SD, but I lost contact when I moved away. Afraid I can be of no help. I think I saw another thread of yours asking more generally about SD diving, so I hope you are able to do some and have a good time during your stay.

I was kind of wondering about the shore line on Camp Pendelton and Point Loma ( military part).
Camp Pendelton appears to have a lot of shoreline, although I don't know anything about the access.
As far as North Island, I assume the beach front is mostly sand, from the way it looked last time I was there.
But, does anyone know if you can get air fills on North Island, since I'm staying there?
live always wondered if VandenBurg has good shore diving, too. They have some awesome waterfront but I wasn't a diver when I was stationed there in 1990.

---------- Post Merged at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:22 AM ----------

I can't imagine there is anything worth seeing at the bottom of San Diego Bay, especially right off North Island, and there's a lot of boat traffic. I used to know some Navy divers when I lived in SD, but I lost contact when I moved away. Afraid I can be of no help. I think I saw another thread of yours asking more generally about SD diving, so I hope you are able to do some and have a good time during your stay.
Thanks, much. I don't think I posted another thread, although I do think I tacked on to somebody elses. Planning to do the traditional La Jolla, etc., and maybe a wreck trip. Just wanted to see if there are some not-often dived sites on the bases.

Pt Loma looks promising. I know there's a beach and park at the Pt... and there's Billets out there also. I just dunno what the security guys will say about it. I remember some one talking about beach diving outside Port Huaneme on the beach... basically out along a break wall.

Point Loma is largely inaccessible (cliffs). The fall away is gradual so even if you found a spot to put in from shore, you'd be swimming for a long way (300+ yards, at least) before you got any amount of depth. In shallow the surge will be pretty significant.

I've heard that there is some diving to be had off the Camp Pendleton coast, but I concur that attempting to dive anywhere off North Island is a fools' errand as that's the main San Diego Bay channel and visibility is often poor there.

We have good shore diving in La Jolla and great boat diving leaving from Mission Bay. No real secrets there.

I'd recommend Marrissa Dive Charters for a boat dive out of nearby Mission Bay. They have great prices and a military discount. Best of all, you only need to bring one tank. They have onboard air and nitrox. They'll fill your tank while on the surface interval.

Steve

Thanks, all. Will try out Marissa. Looking to get a wreck alley dive while we have an off day from the medical conference. Will definitely do La Jolla Cove and all the other traditional shore spots. Was just looking for secret spots on base but I guess there just aren't any. Might just drive through Camp Pendelton and take a look-see to be sure.
Best night dive spots? Will be night diving on the days I'm at the conference.
My lucky husband will get to dive his buns off, although he'll be doing it solo, while I'm stuck in classes.
BTW, when do the squid typically spawn? Is it spring?

---------- Post Merged at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Will it be lobster season? The dates we'll be there are October 4-13. Can we get licenses from out of state? I'm 100% disabled, if that makes a difference.

Squid are typically later into the winter. It will be lobster season, though there are not a lot of shore accessible sites where lobstering is good - you can do it from shell beach or windandsea on a good day. Better to get a boat for those. Lobster licensing can be done on a daily basis. It might be helpful to know what the nature of your disability is, as most sites require some exertion to enter and exit from, even a pitching boat. Harvesting or hunting isn't something I'd undertake if I had some form of physical distraction - unless you've got prior experience in our surf/surge and are comfortable with the multiple dimensions of what hunting in that environment can entail.

La Jolla is good for night diving, probably better at night than during the day. Definitely check out Pendleton, our neighbor goes up there frequently and has good things to say, but as a non-military diver, I've not yet had that opportunity.

La Jolla Shores is great for night diving. All the cool critters come out at night there.

Last year, the squid spawned in December, though I did see squid eggs at the Hogan last weekend.

Lobster season begins next weekend :) You can get out-of-state fishing licenses.

Call the dive shop on Camp Pendleton. They are a great group of guys (who absolutely LOVE diving!) and can probably provide you with the skinny on diving the shoreline. A lot of the base is closed off for training and since the LCACs are often part of that, not sure how much diving they allow. You'll find the dive shop and pool near the top of Rattlesnake Canyon Road past going towards Lake O'Neill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom